Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Error codes/rev counter going funny

+2
past-it
MrNutt
6 posters

Go down

Error codes/rev counter going funny Empty Error codes/rev counter going funny

Post  MrNutt Fri May 11 2012, 14:41

As its sunny thought i'd pop out on the bike for the afternoon, get 5 mins don the road and the rev counter has started to go all funny,

i understand (correct me if wrong) that 3000/400 rpm is the tps and 7/8000rpm is the fuel indicator light?

the rev counter did measure the revs for the first few mins then the dropped to 0 then went to 3/4000 then to 0 then would pick up the revs again, then would sit at 0 then go up to 7/8000rpm then pick up the revs then 0.

any ideas why this might be? or is it looking like i have somehow hit both faults on the bike?

engine all sounded ok, little bit stuttery after the 0-3/4000rpm bit so rode the bike back very gingerly.

I have found out elsewhere that sometimes when fuel is low this can happen?

Not ridden the bike for a week or 2 because of the weather and is kept in a garage when not being ridden.

thanks in advance

Dave
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Error codes/rev counter going funny Empty Re: Error codes/rev counter going funny

Post  past-it Fri May 11 2012, 14:55

Strange to have both fail at the same time. Sounds more like a earth fault, is all the other electrics working correctly? Start at the battery and check and clean the connections and refit with vaseline, there is also a multi plug to the dash that might have damp in it. Is the battery fully charged as well. Start simple and work you're way up from there.
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Error codes/rev counter going funny Empty Re: Error codes/rev counter going funny

Post  MrNutt Fri May 11 2012, 15:02

all the other electrics seem to be ok, the indicator light went a bit funny (well I think it did) when i was riding home, though this might just be my head messing with me.
Battery is pretty much fully charged, I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to doing things on the bike, but will have a go with the battery idea, thanks for the advice past-it Thumb

Hopefully its nowt serious and wont stop me from going to BC
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Fri May 11 2012, 15:09

Booked in with the spanner shop, annoyingly earliest I could get was next weds, so leaves me just about a week to try and get it fixed or no BC for me...
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri May 11 2012, 15:19

MrNutt wrote:
I have found out elsewhere that sometimes when fuel is low this can happen?

Was it low? if so did the fuel light come on?

Sounds more a connection problem than stuff packing up. Maybe leave the bike out in the sun for a bit Laughing (well if there is damp in the connectors they may dry out? Don\'t Know )
I'd also be looking at the battery terminals.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Fri May 11 2012, 15:23

it might be low ish, got 194 miles on the trip and splashed a tenner in it a week or so ago.

will leave it outside as you suggest and see if that helps (as we finally have some sun.

what would I be looking for on the battery terminals?

MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri May 11 2012, 15:30

MrNutt wrote:
what would I be looking for on the battery terminals?

a loose connection, corrosion anything which might cause a bad connection. You do anything to the bike at all prior or during the garage stay? - take tank off, clean it?
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Fri May 11 2012, 15:34

nope nowt, I did take the battery out and lend it to anna, but i rode the bike after that say a week later for a whole afternoon and didnt notice anything, was faultless
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Fri May 11 2012, 18:22

Are you sure you tightened the battery terminals up tightly Dave? Sounds like one may have worked loose
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Fri May 11 2012, 18:27

will have a go at taking the battery out overnight then putting it back in tomorrow, and be careful with the terminals, still going to be careful with the whole think and monitor how the engines feels.

Thanks for the help nick and steve great
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Fri May 11 2012, 18:35

Just quicky nip the battery bolts up tight mate & see what happens first
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Fri May 11 2012, 20:35

ok had a fiddle, and turns out it was just the battery, both terminal contacts were loose (that will probably get me a numpty point more than pointing out ellie talking to herself on the chat box!)

Took the battery out cleaned up the terminals with a wire brush and then the bikes contacts with some sandpaper, went for a quick shake down round the block and all is fine and dandy now pinkelly

thanks you all for you advice and help! great

Dave
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Fri May 11 2012, 20:58

seconded! Don't forget to cancel the mechy :-)
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Fri May 11 2012, 21:03

i am going to cover my ass and tomorrow and go for a proper ride out as the weather is meant to be really nice, so if anything crops up by the time I get back then its still there, if not then yes I will cancel or i could be on for another numpty point.....
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon May 14 2012, 14:06

Did tightening the 'nuts' solve the problem?
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Mon May 14 2012, 14:16

it did indeed!

Took the battery out, cleaned up all the connecting points greased the bolts screwed it all back together and its all fine and dandy now...

Thank chuff for that!
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon May 14 2012, 14:26

Glad it worked out for you mate Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Mon May 14 2012, 14:32

Cheers!

Been out in the nice weather and with the chain adjusted and lubed she's working like a dream again!

any new on the shock work?
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon May 14 2012, 14:38

Yeah I've just posted but basically it's going in this afternoon for full stripdown of back end, shocker strip down, re-oil, gas and seals, linkage cleaned and lubed, that's gonna cure the problem and they can have it til Saturday to take their time and do a proper job. Charging £200 for the lot including full rider set up after which is normally £50 on its own so can't complain really.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Mon May 14 2012, 14:42

thats a damn good sounding deal right there! fingers crossed it all goes well, get a weeks riding in with the new set up before bc
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon May 14 2012, 14:44

Hopefully yeah if all goes well I want to get some miles under my belt before BC and as I've wangled the full day off I'll take the long and winding way there Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Mon May 14 2012, 14:46

nice one, I was going to go on the motorway but going to steal weasleys route (well some of it!), looks far more interesting than the m40 and m42
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down