Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

which alarm should i buy ?

+7
jayster
Radar
Rosco
Panzerbuilder
Cheshirecat
SteveCat
oggy
11 posters

Go down

which  alarm should i buy ? Empty which alarm should i buy ?

Post  oggy Sat Jan 26 2013, 19:22

Hi my bike is well secured when its stored in the garage but it hasnt got an immobiliser/alarm fitted.Ive decided to get one fitted but was wondering which one to get.I dont want one that beeps everytime you go near it but one that is reliable and if possible can be fitted by me.If i have to get it fitted by a dealer thats not a problem im just trying to keep the cost down a bit.Any help would be great cheers
oggy
oggy

Male Status :

Number of posts : 3
Hobbies : fishing
Humour : monty python
Registration date : 2012-11-25

Back to top Go down

which  alarm should i buy ? Empty Re: which alarm should i buy ?

Post  SteveCat Sat Jan 26 2013, 19:34

Personal choice, don't bother. I paid someone to rip mine out, all it did was annoy me and was a source of amusement/irritation on ride-outs. The serious thief would have a padded 'white van' to muffle the sound.

If you are doing it for insurance purposes you'd need a professional fit
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Sat Jan 26 2013, 20:16

I have to agree with Steve on this one, I've got a saying "IF they want it, they are gonna take it", Just chain it up with a decent chain and padlock, keep the chain as high off the ground as possible to its harder for someone to try and use bolt cutters etc...
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 498
Humour : Humour??
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Sat Jan 26 2013, 20:16

ditto

use a chain and disk lock.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sat Jan 26 2013, 20:51

Another from the rip out brigade here.

I inherited mine when I bought mine and like Chris I endured a few numpty moments with it.
Hard security is much better than a bleeping bleep IMHO.

Disc lock are a deterrent but plenty on here have had schoolboy errors with them .... Self included.

If you get one make sure you get a reminder cord with it or make one as it is VERY easy to forget.

Good luck with the alarm if you decide to get one......hopefully you'll never need it.

Cheers
Rosco

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat Jan 26 2013, 21:24

Alarm is not worth the hassle, I had one fitted to my XJR1300 and all it did was drive me nuts and drain the battery.

Last edited by Radar on Sun Jan 27 2013, 10:58; edited 1 time in total
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  jayster Sat Jan 26 2013, 23:09

afraid i have to agree with everyone else, save your money or use it upgrade the brake lines it will prove much more fruitful in the long run.

ive worked with so many alarms and there isnt one i would recommend!

i have one fitted but its unlikely it will go back on when the bike is rebuilt...
jayster
jayster
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 109
Hobbies : king of awesome
Humour : disturbing
Registration date : 2012-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post  oggy Sun Jan 27 2013, 20:55

Cheers guys i think i will stick with chain and lock.I went to j&s in delamere today and got pretty much same answer unless i wanted to part with £250 for the datatool 4 .Going to save cash and have a good run out this summer
oggy
oggy

Male Status :

Number of posts : 3
Hobbies : fishing
Humour : monty python
Registration date : 2012-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Sun Jan 27 2013, 22:08

oggy wrote:Cheers guys i think i will stick with chain and lock.I went to j&s in delamere today and got pretty much same answer unless i wanted to part with £250 for the datatool 4 .Going to save cash and have a good run out this summer

Hey your not far from me mate, I live in Great Sutton, pm me your number will have to get the bikes out for a run sometime
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 498
Humour : Humour??
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun Jan 27 2013, 23:48

oggy wrote:Cheers guys i think i will stick with chain and lock.I went to j&s in delamere today and got pretty much same answer unless i wanted to part with £250 for the datatool 4 .Going to save cash and have a good run out this summer

It was a datatool alarm fitted to my XJR....
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Jan 28 2013, 09:18

I wouldn't bother either, mine was removed from my Daytona too when I got it.

Disc lock (but remember to take it off before you ride away!!!) is as good as anything.

The other thing that might be worth considering in your garage is a ground anchor?
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Jan 28 2013, 12:40

ellie wrote:I wouldn't bother either, mine was removed from my Daytona too when I got it.

The other thing that might be worth considering in your garage is a ground anchor?

Echo all of the above, especially the ground anchor if you can facilitate one. My cat had a Meta 357 fitted which was great for getting a couple of quid off the insurance but a right royal pain in the arse when it used to arm itself everytime you stopped and turned the ignition off for a few seconds, or go off whenever you worked on it, and usually for no reason!!
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Tue Jan 29 2013, 14:39

My Cat has a Datatool 3 which was fitted when the bike was new to please the insurers (Carole Nash, who at the time had a security department, so it was in their interests to sell you one!)

It's still there, and I don't find it too much hassle, now that I've arranged it so it re-arms itself in "ferry mode" (i.e. not sensitive to motion).

It does drain the battery, though, and so the bike is hooked up to an Oximiser much of the time. But it's still on the original 2003 battery, so it can't do any harm.

I don't think I'd bother with an alarm now if the bike didn't already have one, though I guess it depends on where it's normally parked. If it's somewhere you, or someone you trust, would be able to hear it then fine, but if it's out of earshot strangers are not going to give a monkey's if it goes off. Even then, a mate had a new-ish alarmed R1 nicked from a pub car park when he was inside and he swears he never heard a thing - and no, it wasn't heavy metal night. Cost him a fortune to re-insure his new one, as well.

I agree with all that's been said about chains, locks and ground anchors. If you're going to have an alarm, I think the better place for it is on/in the garage, if you have one.

If you still want to go ahead, then there's a basic self-fit one available from M&P, though it's not Thatcham approved, so won't help your insurance premium:

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/592424/Security/Alarms-and-Immobilisers/Tech7/125db-Alarm-with-Remote-Key?utm_source=security&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=170113

Finally, the best security measure, when the bike's at home, is to make sure no-one knows you have it. So keep it out of sight, don't park it even briefly where it's visible from the road (and above all, when the Google Street View camera car comes round!), don't publish your address on forums like this, if you sell any bits on ebay hand them over away from your home address, and if you are suspicious that someone is tailing you to find out where the bike lives, put them off the scent.

OK, so I'm totally paranoid. :evil2:
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Tue Jan 29 2013, 18:08

Xena do some good disk lock alarms and garage alarms aswel.
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Tue Jan 29 2013, 18:31

HEHORE wrote:Xena do some good disk lock alarms and garage alarms aswel.
Just bought a Zena garage alarm from Two Wheel Junkie, less than half price, and it's loud!!
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Tue Jan 29 2013, 20:49

Snowcat wrote:
HEHORE wrote:Xena do some good disk lock alarms and garage alarms aswel.
Just bought a Zena garage alarm from Two Wheel Junkie, less than half price, and it's loud!!
It's a good investment,I have one in my shed and two in my house , there ain't no one getting it without me knowing
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down