Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New rear tyre question

+2
terry lees
Snowcat
6 posters

Go down

New rear tyre question Empty New rear tyre question

Post  Snowcat Thu Mar 14 2013, 12:19

I know there's probably a million and one different threads on tyre choice and a further million and one different opinions but I was wondering do people change both front and rear at the same time or are happy just to change the rear (for the same make/model/compound etc) if the front is okay.

Mine is showing little signs of wear on the front but the rear needs changing, was going to switch to pilot 3s front and rear but am now tempted to just throw a Dunlop Sportsmart on for now and replace them both next time, any thoughts?
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

New rear tyre question Empty Re: New rear tyre question

Post  terry lees Thu Mar 14 2013, 14:47

I do that quite alot, but the other way round, I tend to wear fronts before rears. Get part worns from my local tyre dealer for nowt and use em up till the rear needs a new one and then put a new pair on. This might cause some controversy with some members, but to be quite honest can't tell the difference. Goes without saying but of course both must be radial or crossply, you can't mix them.
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Thu Mar 14 2013, 18:39

terry lees wrote: Goes without saying but of course both must be radial or crossply, you can't mix them.

It's not an Austin 7 Terry pmsl pmsl pmsl
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Mar 14 2013, 19:22

robertcains wrote:
terry lees wrote: Goes without saying but of course both must be radial or crossply, you can't mix them.

It's not an Austin 7 Terry pmsl pmsl pmsl

Yeah I'll be sure not to mix up my cross ply and radials Tel Smile
It is a Sportsmart that I've got on the front anyway and from what I've ridden on it so far seems pretty sure footed in the wet and dry
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  owen.dyer146 Thu Mar 14 2013, 19:30

ive always tried sticking to exact same make front and back went with mismatched once and didnt handle to well.
owen.dyer146
owen.dyer146
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 185
Hobbies : workshop maniger mazda main dealer
Registration date : 2012-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Thu Mar 14 2013, 21:01

I very rarely change front and rear at the same time. I just replace individual tyres when they're worn to the point where I don't trust them anymore and/or the handling is getting noticebly worse.

I normally try to stick with the same make, if not the same model. Though with the FZ6, which came on BT020s, I did fit a Dunlop Roadsmart when the back wore out, keeping the Bridgestone on the front for several thousand more miles with no problems. And I didn't notice any big change when I did finally fit a matching Dunlop front.

So - if it's legal, and you're comfortable with it, and it seems to work OK, then I'd say go for it.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Thu Mar 14 2013, 22:27

Try to stick to match brands/type if you can. But if the front is fine leave and just change the rear. I have done this many times over the years and few times on my Thundercat
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down