Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone with Yamaha MT-09 or Tracer?

2 posters

Go down

mc Anyone with Yamaha MT-09 or Tracer?

Post  BlueZed Wed Mar 25 2015, 14:16

Just wondering since I saw a few people mentioning they had either a MT-09 or a Tracer now...

I've had the MT-09 for a bit over a year now and it went in for its first annual service last week. The garage then called me and said the cam chain tensioner needs changing urgently as its very rattly. I never really heard that riding myself as I usually wear earplugs...

Anyway... it's all under warranty and should get fixed this week or next at the latest, once they get the part. Just means I shouldn't ride the bike until then.

But... after some research on forums in Germany, the UK and the US this seems to be a wide-spread issue with this bike and Yamaha appears to be on their 3rd version of the tensioner now and even that appears to be reported as failing in some places... No official recall has been made though...

Anyone here had that issue yet? Did the replacement actually fix it? Should I buy extended warranty for another two years after my warranty ends next March to be on the safe side?
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 317
Hobbies : Space cadet
Humour : NEIN!
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

mc Re: Anyone with Yamaha MT-09 or Tracer?

Post  SteveCat Wed Mar 25 2015, 15:21

There is some confusion as to what they have fitted to the '15 bikes, notably the Tracer and Tracker (they know how to confuse don't they). Some folk have given up on Yamaha sorting out the problem and gone 3rd party.

There has been quite some stink over the tensioner on the MT-09/FZ-09(US), but so far no one has reported a problem they have encountered with the MT-09TRA / FJ-09.
We're too busy moaning about the drive chain being too tight and Yamaha are adamant 5-15mm is correct even though you can hear the bearings screaming.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Wed Mar 25 2015, 16:24

Yeah... I'm a bit suspicious of those chain tension values too. I'm going with my tried and tested standard of 20-30mm.
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Mar 25 2015, 16:45

You measuring the 20~30mm from chain pushed up to chain pushed down distance? Think that is normal, I have concluded Yamaha have confused the life out of us by spec'ing it as the distance in one direction only - which would make it 10~15mm in their method. Mine was adjusted to 25mm.

Been doing a bit of sniffing about the Tracer/FJ-09 Forum regarding the cam tensioner (cct). One rider has taken his back complaining of the noise, Yamaha refuted any fault. It would appear we have v3 of the CCT, which could be the reason Yamaha claim no fault found, there definitely seems to be a problem with v1 and 2. The design of these things seems to be the reason they make a noise, they will tighten but not loosen in response to the chain tension.

Difficult one to decide on an extended warranty, suppose it depends on the cost of it vs the potential cost of repairs, especially the CCT. I am sure though if it were found to be an issue Yamaha would be dragged into court, if not in Europe most certainly in the States.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Wed Mar 25 2015, 17:12

Yep, that's how I measure too. Distance between down and up positions. I guess your theory could be right... my dealer adjusted it to my values too so should be fine and has been since I had it... now 8000 km.

The extended warranty would be 380€ for 2 additional years. Will decide nearer the time once the new CCT has settled in but at the moment I don't think I'll take it.

On the German forum there's a photo, might be from the US/UK site originally, that shows the difference between the latest and one of the earlier versions:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Mar 25 2015, 17:41

BlueZed wrote:On the German forum there's a photo,

We can't see the pics as we are not authorised 'Du hast keine Berechtigung, diesen Dateianhang herunterzuladen.'
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Wed Mar 25 2015, 17:47

Oops... here it is again:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Mar 25 2015, 18:58

Looks like another tight chain problem. Maybe the engineers in the chain tension division had their slide rules upside down when they did their calculations.
Could be this is the team that got promoted for the design of the Thundercat* headlight pmsl

* There we go made the thread relevant on this forum Wink
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Wed Mar 25 2015, 19:12

Haha... Maybe... Or maybe it was the 2nd gear guys Wink
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Mar 27 2015, 10:16

Seems like the recalls have started!! Only in the US for now and on certain models (FJ09, FZ09, FZ6R, Super Tenere, R6.) and certain VIN numbers.
Problems are

Transmission shift cam segment stopper has sharp edge and may crack or break.
FZ-09 recall for cables to be replaced and a TSB for the cam chain tensioned

As you know the FZ-09 is the same as your MT-09 and the FJ-09 is the Tracer.

This seems to have been announced yesterday, so not much info coming from across the pond, there is no telling any of these problems exist in the Euro models and so far Yamaha Motors Europe have not said anything.

SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Fri Mar 27 2015, 10:25

Oh wow... just found it here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Will keep an eye on it now and see how long until we get the same recall... Just had the headlight recall done on mine and the ABS unit was recalled even before I got the bike last year. Hopefully they found all the issues now...

Mind you, I didn't actually notice any "issues" apart from the cam chain rattle... Bike's still great fun Wink
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Mar 27 2015, 10:57

That's where I got it from Wink I've been making a general nuisance of myself on that site in the last few weeks !!
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Tue Apr 07 2015, 08:34

Looks like the recall has started in Australia now too. Though I think only 2015 bikes have the gear shift issue...

Anyway... had my CCT done last week and they updated the software... feels like a different bike now! Jerkyness is gone completely.

Really happy with it again so far left thumb up
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Apr 07 2015, 10:22

Think it's going to be a phased approach to all countries, possibly in the order they were released.

Glad to hear the jerkyness has now gone and the CCT been replaced. Do you notice any difference in the modes now, power delivery wise? I believe the mapping I have is a milder version of yours, my A mode is supposed to be likened to your STD mode - if that's the case yours must be ballistic. I went fast enough yesterday to feel the front end weave, not felt that since the 80's.
As usual when manufacturer's are looking at cost savings, the suspension gets hit.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Tue Apr 07 2015, 10:31

Yep, my STD mode is now a lot smoother than it was. "A" mode hasn't changed a lot, maybe not as jumpy when you open the throttle. "B" mode stayed roughly the same apart from the jerkyness.

Before the update I mostly rode in B mode as it reminded me of the Z750... Now I've had a full day in STD and it's great. Won't be using A mode much I don't think Wink

Suspension is definitely a weak point on mine too, though my weight probably doesn't help Embarassed
Have got it on the hardest setting at the rear and only 2 or 3 clicks out at the front. Has made it a lot better but if I have spare cash at some point I'll put in a better shock in the rear and springs in the front. Fine for now though...
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Tue Apr 07 2015, 11:38

Ah, now the recall has reached Germany too: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Looks like mine isn't affected though... too old already Wink

Guess yours could be on the list?
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Apr 07 2015, 12:54

Thanks Thomas, for some strange reason mine has a fairly high number compared to others and as such have managed to miss the recall by 75 bikes!
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Tue Apr 07 2015, 13:30

Hopefully you're right... Could be though that UK VIN numbers start higher?

In any case, I'm sure Yamaha UK will be issuing their recall soon too...
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Apr 07 2015, 13:57

The owners site in the US has a thread of the last 4 digits of our VIN and where we are, all the other UK entries are in the 1 thousands and mine upper 2 thousand. On the Yamaha EU site there is a place to enter the VIN and see if there is a recall, this is the link to the UK part of the site (guess it just means it's in English rather than grouping numbers), you may want to run your VIN through there and see if it comes up with anything, but I'm sure the dealer would have done this whilst it was in there last week.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Tue Apr 07 2015, 14:00

Yep, that's the same page we have for "Yamaha Deutschland" Wink

Couple of people from the German MT-09 forum have said theirs is affected according to the news article but the Yamaha database says nothing yet. Also their dealers have no idea yet either...

Guess it'll take a few days until it's worked its way through the system...

Mine's a real early one though and definitely not affected (RN296****10**) left thumb up
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down