Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cat Import spec?

5 posters

Go down

Cat Import spec? Empty Cat Import spec?

Post  Macjam8 Sat Aug 08 2009, 14:40

Having to look for a new Cat after a stationary car driver pulled a U'ee in front of me - my first every long haul trip coming back from Loch Lomand to Wiltshire & was in the pouring rain which helped me slide to a gentle rest and walk away from it - so OK & on lookers nearly applauded the style!!

Anyway - it needs new forks, yokes, wheel ..... quoted £2000 + in pattern parts on a 23k W reg!!! so its a Cat C right-off. Some Cats for sale are Import spec - what is the differance from UK spec? other than clocks in km's Are there any hassels with insurance MOT's etc - one appears to be from USA - different again? Should there be any 'extra' paper work, above V5 MOT service history, to look for?

Cheers
Macjam8
Macjam8
1Bronze
1Bronze

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Cat Import spec? Empty Re: Cat Import spec?

Post  0ldcat Sat Aug 08 2009, 17:22

I had a USA spec thundercat.

clocks were in mph
V5 was standard
headlight dipped the wrongway so needed tape on it for mot
The only real problem I had was it was a Californian bike so the carbs had been rejetted for their laws . . . . had to get that rectified so she wasn't a strangled pussy.

The only thing with parallel imports is that people are shy of them because of the headlight and because the first purchacer got it cheaper than an official import.
For some reason when people want to buy second hand (used) parallel imports they want that discount passed on.

There used to be the worry about warranty and so on but since they stopped importing them in 2003 they'll all be out of warranty now any how.

I'm not sure on this one , but I did hear tell you can still get the Thundercat NEW in the USA. But of course you'd have shipping, import taxes and SVA costs to lump onto the cost of the bike.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Macjam8 Sun Aug 09 2009, 10:40

Thanks - forgot about head lamp - not adjustable then? the dip direction must bebuilt into the reflector as its not in the lens cover.

As for new bikes this is as good as, from a milage view point 1100 - amazing for an 2001!!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikesforsale/searchresults/detail/?R=NXGN-1800408&mfy=40.755774

Cheers
Macjam8
Macjam8
1Bronze
1Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sun Aug 09 2009, 14:27

I have a German parallel import - the previous owner (who bought it new in Germany) had the headlight and speedo face replaced with UK ones. Other than that the only minor difference to UK spec are an extra breather pipe from the fuel tank filler (this is a Germany-only requirement) and the paint scheme, which wasn't available in the UK (see my avatar on the right --->). There are also a couple of stickers in German but other than that it goes and rides like a 'normal' one. AFAIK the only ones to watch are the Californian ones that Tel mentioned due to the restrictions in the carbs.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sun Aug 09 2009, 15:46

According to Parkers Used Bike Price Guide a 2001 Yamaha Thundercat onna 51 plate is about £2300 from a dealer (£2k max good private). Parkers Guide Link
So that one however good would seem over priced by a grand Shocked ! Big ask just because it's got low mileage , no matter what the condition Neutral
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Macjam8 Tue Aug 11 2009, 08:51

Thanks for all the info and Parkers link. Still waiting for the insurance valuation and then the hassel of bargaining it up, before the time/agro/pleasure of a getting a 'new' bike.

Cheers
Macjam8
Macjam8
1Bronze
1Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun Aug 16 2009, 18:25

I have run a late 98 German spec Thundercat since 2000 with no problems. Love the old girl!
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  nick Sat Jun 05 2010, 12:35

Hi, new to the forum so apologies for dragging up an old topic

How do i find out which spec engine i have? The reason i ask is that i have track bike that had been fitted with a different engine after the last owner blew it up Rolling Eyes

I was looking into changing the downpipes and noticed that there was a lot of extra 'plumbing' around the headers which doesn't seem to be part of the UK spec. After a bit of searching it turns out to be for emmision control ponder

Does this mean that i've got a low-power eco friendly motor Shocked

Can i just remove it, or will i need to re-je the carbs etc....

Worried that the cams might be different too....

HELP!
nick
nick

Male Status :

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-06-05

Back to top Go down