Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bunny Chow

+2
Wooster
SteveCat
6 posters

Go down

Bunny Chow Empty Bunny Chow

Post  SteveCat Tue Sep 27 2016, 22:38

Not a likely post for a motorcycle forum, I'll give you a clue it's about food but maybe not what you'd expect. Bunny has nothing to do with an adorable rabbit.

I promised that I'd post next time I made one, the promise was made at BigMac and again at SnT - taken a while but haven't made one in a long time. So what is it?
Bottom line it's curry in bread, it's origins are a bit sketchy but comes from Durban, South Africa. The internet version I believe is a bit PC and not true, supposedly was a packed lunch for Indian labourers working the sugar cane fields.
The version I prefer is far spicier comprising different cultures and a large dollop of political interference. Africans love spicy food but rice isn't a staple for them far preferring a maze meal stiff porridge like dish called mielie pap, almost looks like the flesh of a loaf of white bread - which is also a favourite. Thanks to the separate development (apartheid) policy of the day the Indian commercial section in Durban bordered the African train station, but the Africans were not allowed into the Indian shops, in this case to buy curry.
So some enterprising trader had a hole in the wall (early form of a take away window), keeping costs down the trader didn't want to give spoons and containers with the curry and came up with the idea of combining what the customer loves, shoving the curry into a hollowed out half loaf of bread.

You'll need some curry and a loaf of bread
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]IMG_20160927_211533 by Steve Phillips, on Flickr
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]IMG_20160927_185906 by Steve Phillips, on Flickr

Cut the loaf in half and scoup out the 'flesh' (sorry pic is sidewise)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]IMG_20160927_212900 by Steve Phillips, on Flickr

Fill with curry

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]IMG_20160927_213545 by Steve Phillips, on Flickr

Eat with your hands, tearing the sides of the loaf and use like a spoon to get the curry.

If anyone is interested in how to make the curry I can post how I make it.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Bunny Chow Empty Re: Bunny Chow

Post  Wooster Tue Sep 27 2016, 23:12

I'm interested in the curry recipe myself, if you'd be so kind. Cool

Half my dinners are a curry of one sort or another and that one is making me hungry just looking at it.....even though it's ten past eleven at night. green smile
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  FatCat Tue Sep 27 2016, 23:40

Me too, you don't do deliveries do you Steve? Meals on 2-wheels for hungry Scots? Smile
FatCat
FatCat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2014-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Sep 28 2016, 10:49

Could consider deliveries, might be cold and half the order missing by the time I get there though Wink

A link to the more 'authentic' version, although looking at it seems very similar to the way I make a Durban Curry. I have no idea what a tot is, guess it a 25ml drinks measure. I have an allergy to tomatoes, or at least the Southern African variety so I go easy on the quantity - so my take on a Durbs Beef curry.

• finely chop an onion and fry in a little oil in a heavy based pot 1 till softened ~about 5 minutes, you don't want them to brown, take out the pot and set aside.

• put some more oil (I use veg / oil seed rape) and add diced beef (400-500g) stir to stop sticking

• then add 1 tablespoon masala2 / curry powder - (the quantity will vary according to your taste)
    1 teaspoon crushed garlic
    1 teaspoon crushed ginger
    1 teaspoon crushed cumin
    1 teaspoon corriander seeds
    If you like a bit of kick add some chillies, I use dried African birds eye chillies, the same critters you find in Nandos sauces
    stir, it is very dry at this point and the spices will stick to the pot and hopefully some on the meat - just a couple of stirs

• half a tin of chopped tomato (cheap stuff works best) - stir, work the bottom of the pot to ease some of the 'burnt on' spices

• about a tablespoon of tomato purée

• 1-2 tablespoons white sugar3  -stir

• a couple of potatoes peeled and cubed into bite sized chunks

• water to cover the ingredients

• bring to the boil stirring occasionally and then lower the heat, cover and simmer. I find it takes about an hour on low, you'll need to keep an eye and make sure there is enough water so it doesn't burn, stir every 10 minutes or so.
    It's done when the potatoes are cooked and the meat is soft.

• Turn off the heat and let stand, but don't get too p!$$ed and forget about it Wink 

• Serve on rice or make a bunny

1: I use my pressure cooker, curry has a habit of permeating cooking utensils
2: I use a South African mix, available in Saffa shops in the UK, but I believe what is available in supermarkets is OK
3: The sugar is used to counter the harsh taste of the tomato, I tend to use more sugar to mask the tomato and try and fool my allergy. Diabetics would need to alter this to suit - it OK not putting any in, does alter the taste.

Last edited by SteveCat on Wed Sep 28 2016, 10:57; edited 1 time in total
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  FatCat Wed Sep 28 2016, 10:56

Thanks Steve

I'll certainly be trying this. Smile

Ian
FatCat
FatCat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Wed Sep 28 2016, 11:43

Me too.. left thumb up
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  billyw Wed Sep 28 2016, 19:59

Cheers Steve - good man. Karen is looking forward to your vegetarian version at Broadmeadows House next year. None of that nasty beef she says!
billyw
billyw
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1098
Hobbies : Teacher/ sports/ music
Humour : As often as possible
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Wed Sep 28 2016, 20:21

I'm going to have a go at this, looks delicious. Cheers Steve.

Paul
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Sep 28 2016, 20:24

A reason to avoid Broadmeadows me thinks Wink  Never done a beans bunny which is the most popular in Durban followed by a mutton bunny. In case you are confused by my naming, the full name is bunny chow, but we just call it a bunny. Comes in 3 sizes kota bunny ( quarter loaf of government standard issue bread), half bunny which is standard size and full bunny as you would have guessed is the whole loaf. Some wiki info on it.

What I didn't mention in the recipe is salt, I don't cook with it but it is normal to add a teaspoon.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Wed Sep 28 2016, 21:06

SteveCat wrote:What I didn't mention in the recipe is salt, I don't cook with it

......................................................................................but it is normal to add a teaspoon.
Okay Question , we know you Saffa's are tough . . .
But, how long does it take for the teaspoon to cook through and get soft confused rofl

green smile honk
Toff
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Sep 28 2016, 21:51

Depends on the quality of the teaspoon, modern Chinese tat will only need about 30 minutes or less, the more substantial Sheffield steel spoons would require more time. Either way I wouldn't recommend you put the spoon into the bunny but rather as an aside accompaniment. Speaking of which I omitted to add the side of grated carrot and chillies which is traditional in the take away version. Don't over soften the spoon though it could come in useful as an eating aide if you don't care to get stained fingers from the turmeric. Oh thinking about it, don't cook the spoon if you have false teeth rofl2
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  FatCat Wed Sep 28 2016, 22:00

billyw wrote:Cheers Steve - good man. Karen is looking forward to your vegetarian version at Broadmeadows House next year. None of that nasty beef she says!

Show Karen this, it's vegetarian Bunny-Chow
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
FatCat
FatCat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  FatCat Sun Oct 02 2016, 20:57

Just so you know your efforts were very much appreciated Steve.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Only one word, Yum! Very Happy
FatCat
FatCat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Oct 04 2016, 09:32

Fantastic Ian and Jill, glad you enjoyed it great Do you do deliveries? Wink
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  FatCat Tue Oct 04 2016, 10:10

SteveCat wrote:Fantastic Ian and Jill, glad you enjoyed it great Do you do deliveries? Wink

Absolutely, to anyone who wants one within a 5 metre radius. Smile
FatCat
FatCat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Aug 08 2018, 13:03

Nudging the thread, for those who had Gill's Bunny on Saturday and want to give it a go.

Sorry Billy I still don't have a vegetarian version, I'd imagine if you were to use Sugar or Butter beans instead of the beef. Cook the beans first or use tinned (drained) and add at the end pretty much to warm through and take on some of the flavour.

In my recipe I said 1/2 tin of tomatoes, the norm is to use a whole tin. I reduced it because I get quite ill having too much of them.
The higher quantity also reduces the 'kick'.

The condiment we had is called Mrs Balls available in some Sainsbury's and Tesco stores. It is a South African Peach/apricot Chutney. The one we had is called original. Online stores carry the other varieties (extra Hot and Chilli). The curry powder is Rajah (Robinson's Spices / Unilever) also available online.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum