Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what to look for when buying

+2
Panzerbuilder
badger
6 posters

Go down

what to look for when buying Empty what to look for when buying

Post  badger Sun May 30 2010, 20:43

Hi guys,

as a newbie to the site, a novice rider and a not very mechanically minded person....

what should i look for when buying a bike. I have read a few things about second gear issues but can you spot this? I get the feeling this issue may not be too common. Also what about tyre tread, servicing etc. What is acceptable and what should make me think about haggling for a discount. Does that make sense? Essentially from your collective experience what are the main things to look for. Sorry about the newbie question. I looked to see if i could find a thread but couldnt (maybe because im stupid).
badger
badger
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Hobbies : teacher, triathlon (pedal power), photography
Humour : Who doesn't love you've been framed?
Registration date : 2010-05-29

Back to top Go down

what to look for when buying Empty Re: what to look for when buying

Post  Panzerbuilder Sun May 30 2010, 21:00

First things Badge,

Do you know anyone with some biking knowlege? That might help.

Tread depth is the same as a car. So the more you see the longer it will last. The rear usually disappears the quickest but that depends on how you use your wrist.
History is also a good thing, MOTs receipts for servicing or bits. The Cats original exhaust is a bone of contention so if its been replaced then that is a good thing.

Regarding the gears, to only way is to get on and try it.

Finally, I went for low miles and MOT and tax. So at least I'd get the summer out of it with no issues. (I've just ordered a set of tyres for mine the first major amount of money I've laid out since I bought it in Feb)

I hope this helps.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  badger Sun May 30 2010, 21:08

thanks panzer

just wondered if there was anything specific to look for with the thundercat. Have seen a nice one in salisbury from a garage and it comes with MOT etc. For me its probably better to get one from a dealer so i have some comeback. Dont want to be sold a dog.

btw are/were you REME? i used to be in the sigs and there seem to be quite a lot of army types on the site.
badger
badger
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Hobbies : teacher, triathlon (pedal power), photography
Humour : Who doesn't love you've been framed?
Registration date : 2010-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Sun May 30 2010, 21:15

Badge,

Nope never been in the services. Worked at BAE SYSTEMS all my life helping make the Hawk, T45 and other bits of planes up at Brough.

Nickname was due to my interest in modelling all things WW2, especially the tracked variety!

The dealer route is good but you'll have to add on around £300-£500 for the piece of mind.

I've found the majority of ebayers are honest sellers. My cat has been fine and puts a smile on my face every time I get out on it.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 31 2010, 00:07

Assuming there's nothing else in my diary, I'm happy to come take a look at bikes with you (reasonable distance permitting - I'm in Marlborough/Swindon). I'm no expert by any means but happy to help where I can.

Mostly it's sensible stuff - tyre tread, chain/sprocket condition, that kind of thing. If you're after a mint bike, look for things that aren't important but expensive to fix - I'm largely thinking plastics etc.

Chris
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Mon May 31 2010, 09:29

Hi Badger,

Very simple second gear check is to jump on the bike & select second gear at low revs, Wind the throttle back hard (obviously take care when doing this Embarassed ) take her to high revs at a quick pace & if she jumps out of gear its one of those bikes you should walk away from regardless of how good the deal is. Suspect
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Mon May 31 2010, 10:25

Swingarms rot away especially around the shock area on old, high mileage or generally un looked after bikes.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 02 2010, 01:16

You know this 2nd gear problem , firstly I'd like to know if actually anyone here has had the problem ?!! I haven't ever had a problem , I asked my bro-in law who owned a Cat years ago and he had had never heard of the problem . But I have another Yam bike and apparently it was common with that model to when they first came out - but again , I've never had a prob with both my Yams .
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Wed Jun 02 2010, 11:59

The so called 2nd gear problem is really associated with abusive riding like excessive wheelies & general stunting or more so poor gearchanging from 1st to 2nd. This affects almost every bike with that type of riding.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed Jun 02 2010, 13:46

LOL- Found this in another forum.....but they did say the Thundecat has "about as much street cred as a fazer" grumpy

* 2nd gear - redline in 2nd on the test ride. If it pops into neutral, walk away. This means a 4 figure repair bill to re-build the box and replace worn cogs.

* Rear Shock - Check the adjuster ring moves and check the shock compresses with weight applied. The lack of protection from the back wheel's crud flinging can lead to seizure if not properly cleaned and maintained. If a hugger or undertray has been fitted, this is a good sign of a careful owner.

* Downpipes - Whip off the belly pan and check, with the engine running, for any blowing of the exhaust around the block. Don't think this can be solved by tightening up the exhaust clamps
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Jun 02 2010, 14:28

ellie wrote:LOL- Found this in another forum.....but they did say the Thundecat has "about as much street cred as a fazer" grumpy

Cheeky bu66ers!
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down