Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soft Panniers but which ones?

4 posters

Go down

Soft Panniers but which ones?  Empty Soft Panniers but which ones?

Post  MrSlightlyoffWhite Mon Mar 07 2011, 13:22

Been looking into the soft pannier options. Anybody here have advice on which to get/not to get? The Oxford set-up seems a popular choice with capacity ranging from 35l to 65l depending on style.

Anybody had experience with them, (looking at the x50's and x60's - sprint and sport models in old money) ease of use, stability on the road etc or maybe recommend some alternatives.

Many thanks,

Chris
MrSlightlyoffWhite
MrSlightlyoffWhite
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 9
Hobbies : Construction site manager
Humour : You missed out a U.....
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Soft Panniers but which ones?  Empty Re: Soft Panniers but which ones?

Post  0ldcat Mon Mar 07 2011, 14:52

I've got the oxford system. Had 'em (same set) for 10 years now. Never missed a beat in all that time, and as long as you double bag stuff you'll have no issues with water proofing . . . and no need to use the storm covers either . . . IMHO they're only use is to amuse riders behind you as they either fly off or slowly disassemble (shred) themselves, leading only to a sweepstake as to their longevity.
Also follow the securing advice as best you can, . . . sensably and safely adapting where needed/necessary.

I have the Oxford Lifetime X50 set, tho they weren't called that back then.

I have toured 2 up nearly every year around Europe, (two weekers usually 2.5K + miles each time), plus all the wee side trips we do in the "something for the weekend" trips section ~ in conditions that were as varied as fantasticly good and hot, hot, hot to monsoon armagedon are we really sure the mayans said December 21st 2012 and not today Shocked .
I've no been particularly gentle with them either, never mind the weather.
I got 'em at the NEC Bike Show @ £35 then . . . . Taking in to account what they've done/been through I recon thats a bargin ! In fact when I handed me dosh over I should have had a dick turpin mask on Laughing .

So considering the ones in the link I put above are, 10 years on, still the price they are that's not bad if they still do last like mine have.

No ! I don't work for Oxford . . . . but if a product is good or has given good service at the least, then we should pass that info on.

clink
Cheers
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Mon Mar 07 2011, 19:06

yep same here got oxford sports panniers got mine off good old flie bay £20
bright yellow on a green Kawasaki mmm
never had a problem as tel says double bag your stuff as
the water proof covers act as air brakes you seen the shuttlle landing
just make sure you follow the instructions on fitting
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue Mar 08 2011, 14:27

0ldcat wrote:I've got the oxford system. No need to use the storm covers either . . . IMHO they're only use is to amuse riders behind you as they either fly off or slowly disassemble (shred) themselves, leading only to a sweepstake as to their longevity.

I agree. Got a full set in blue to suit the bike (I was a tart don't you know) but the rainproof covers are less than crap. Only used them either once or twice before binning them. But the panniers, tank bag and tail pack are very good
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  MrSlightlyoffWhite Mon Mar 14 2011, 15:42

Many thanks for the advice,

Set of oxford sprints on order, now for the vacuum bags ponder as rain covers will be removed from said package and thrown straight into rubbish bin.....

Chris
MrSlightlyoffWhite
MrSlightlyoffWhite
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 9
Hobbies : Construction site manager
Humour : You missed out a U.....
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down