Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

London Riots

+4
robertcains
Wild-Kat-Wolf
SteveCat
Rosco
8 posters

Go down

London Riots Empty London Riots

Post  Rosco Mon Aug 08 2011, 22:13

Anyone in these areas?
Hope you and your bike are ok and stay that way.

Just can't believe what I'm seeing on the telly......again!
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

London Riots Empty Re: London Riots

Post  SteveCat Mon Aug 08 2011, 23:10

Yeah I am , sort of .. The furniture store you see on fire is just over 2 miles from me.

I was out working on the bike fitting the new instrument cluster ( leave that tale for another day), things weren't going my way and I was taking way longer than hoped...

I knew there was an un-easiness about, my walk home I had planned on stopping at the DVD shop but it was shuttered up, so was the Croydon Vistor Centre next door.
People were milling about at home wanting to talk with me and were delaying my job. I wanted to change the headlight bulb whilst all stripped down, turns out my replacement was faulty - so pop inside to find another one. Pam had been trying to call me and panicked when I didn't answer, she had been watching the TV.
As I'm putting the new bulb in I smell burning.. OOOPS I thought I had burnt the wiring on the bike.. The sirens had been going for well over an hour at this stage and I started to filter them out.
Took me well over a minute to realise it wasn't the bike emitting the smell and I suddenly recognised it to be burning rubber (awful flashbacks to my past life).

Pam is uneasy as I guess can be understood. I may have been seen to be the weird one, working on the bike whilst parts of Croydon are on fire.

I'm OK and I hope the bikes are, new one now has the old ones cover on it (really because I tore the seat yesterday and don't want it damaged if it rains).

Tomorrow, will set out as usual to work - I'm lucky I walk there, the Trams all pass through Reeves Corner ( the furniture store on fire), there won't be any service that way. Busses have been set alight, so there will disruptions there too.
I work less than a mile from the fires, no telling if the borough centre will be open 'for business'
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Mon Aug 08 2011, 23:18

So glad to hear you're okay Steve, hope Pam doesn't get too freaked out - it would scare the hell out of me.... have never had (and hope never to have) to deal with anything like that.... it can't be nice at all.

Stay safe, and hope you get the bike(s) fixed up okay soon.

Fi xxx girl_witch
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Mon Aug 08 2011, 23:21

Stay safe Steve, keep us informed please mate
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Aug 08 2011, 23:30

Thanks Fi, bike just about all sorted, seem to have misplaced a panel screw :( but in the scheme of things that's minor.

Many roads have been closed off and the looting is still carrying on I believe - Lidl, Argos, Pound streacher are all in the area of Reeves furniture store.
One of Croydon's claim to fame is it is the largest shopping area in London outside of the West End, so many many shops from which to loot.

I thought I left lawlessness behind me 5 years ago, maybe in a way that's why I am calmer than those around me, for now. I had offered Pam that she comes over to mine, but she feels I'm in a less secure position right now.

The acrid smell of all the fires has gotten into the flat, I doubt it'll be a good night for many.

- Thanks Nick
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Tue Aug 09 2011, 07:20

We were thinking of you last night when we saw Croydon on the TV.

Hope Pams OK too xx

Ellie xxxx
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Aug 09 2011, 09:10

A quieter than usual walk into work this morning. Very few people on the streets, the couple of buses I did see were nearly all empty. The trams are running past my place and at this time of morning they are normally bursting at the seams they are so full, but not today.

I'm the only one in the office which smells like it has been on fire. The eerie silence is similar to when everything shuts down here after a snow fall.
People are walking about in a state of shock and I suppose fear for if and when it will happen again. It is very unnerving to realise such destruction has taken place so close to you
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  sir digby Tue Aug 09 2011, 09:22

just seen it all on the news madness bring back national service for these feral kids old hope u and pam are ok steve iam sure they will move on doesnt look like there is much left to burn in croyden
sir digby
sir digby
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 361
Hobbies : roofer/titting about
Humour : if iam put on life support machine turn it off and on again see if that works
Registration date : 2011-04-19

http://yorkhomeimprovements.com

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Tue Aug 09 2011, 09:24

Hi Steve/Pam,

I'm sorry you have to experience any of this. I can't believe what I'm seeing on the news reports. It's quite a mixture of emotions, mainly anger at others behaviour and disbelief, but nothing I'm sure that you haven't already gone through. It looks to me like it is being done by those who think they can get away with it. I sincerely hope they don't.

Take care,
Chris
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Tue Aug 09 2011, 10:27

Absolutely unbelievable. Stay safe steve.

Paul.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down