Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which paddock stand to use . . .

+4
Dean-J
bobh
HEHORE
bikerbird
8 posters

Go down

OhNo Which paddock stand to use . . .

Post  bikerbird Sun Feb 12 2012, 08:36

Hey guys! I'm hoping someone can help me out here!!! I need to purchase a cheap but decent rear paddock stand for the cat and going all googly eyed with the amount of different ones there are Shocked The one I have at the moment is the red universal spring loaded one which I cannot get on with at all!!! wall I have been looking on ebay and have found an adjustable one which is listed on there by Busters (think its the same as M & P's) for £20! I am considering buying it especially as they also have a video on there which shows the ease of putting it on!! What I want to know is, will it be easy for me a mere girl girlpower

What do you guys use??? I would appreciate any recommendations but please remember, I cant afford to pay very much!!!

Karen Very Happy
bikerbird
bikerbird
1Silver
1Silver

Female Status :

Number of posts : 106
Hobbies : Sales Administrator, love biking and horse riding :)
Humour : extreme cheek and generally love to misbehave!!! :D
Registration date : 2011-10-02

Back to top Go down

OhNo Re: Which paddock stand to use . . .

Post  HEHORE Sun Feb 12 2012, 10:24

I've been looking at the same one
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Sun Feb 12 2012, 16:44

Unfortunately on a 'Cat there's doesn't seem to be anywhere on the swingarm to mount any lifting bobbins, so you can't use the type of stand that has hooks, which is the most stable and easiest to use in my opinion.

So you need the type with cushioned pads, like the Busters one - I'm assuming this is the red one that's now listed at £15.99 + £5.50 postage. Looking at the video, it does look pretty solid, and the fact that you can adjust the width of the cups and lock them is a plus.

But it's also obvious from the video that someone out of shot is holding the bike upright while the guy adjusts the width, so you might need assistance while you do this, at least the first time you use it. Failing that, put a piece of wood under the prop stand so the bike is nearly upright before you start.

You may also find if you're on your own the steering can fall to one side as the bike rolls back onto the stand - in the video the bike stays straight as presumably someone is holding the bars. If you can, it's better to use the stand on a really smooth surface, so the stand can roll under the bike.

Something to check when you adjust the width of the cups is that the one on the l.h. side doesn't contact the sprocket bolts and stop the wheel turning.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Sun Feb 12 2012, 17:44

I know its not cheap, But an ABBA stand really is the best you can buy imo. Now i have used an ABBA stand i simply would not go back to a normal paddock stand. Easy as you like to use by yourself, and if you ever change your bike, you just get a new set of adaptors.

Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 244
Humour : Filthy!
Registration date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Sun Feb 12 2012, 19:12

Unfortunately on a 'Cat there's doesn't seem to be anywhere on the swingarm to mount any lifting bobbins, so you can't use the type of stand that has hooks,

I have bobbins on mine! I don't have good enough picture available but mine are welded about a third way along swing arm from the rear.
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sun Feb 12 2012, 19:25

I have an Oxford aluminium rear paddock stand.They are listed at Hein Gericke for £55 which I know is a bit more expensive than what you are looking at although Ghostbikes ave it for £47.

When I bought mine from HG I was getting some other bits, cried poverty and they give me th stand for £40!!, the guys at HG areally biker friendly and will always do a deal for you.

The Oxford is solid looking and feeling, the arm is long so you don't need a lot of strength to use it. the plastic footpads are wide and fully adjustable and it also comes with attachable bobbin forks for if you ever change your bike and it has swingarm bobbins. it is easy to use on your own although to be honest I had a friend give me a hand the first time so I could adjust the pads to the right width.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  past-it Sun Feb 12 2012, 22:23

That type of stand fits the Cat well and with practice it's easy to put the bike up on the stand, I bought a cheap one and have no problems with it, using it on the Fazer is harder work and trying to pick up my Brothers 2004 R1 causes visions of expensive plastic on order affraid
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sun Feb 12 2012, 22:31

I bought a cheap but easy to use 'micron' front and rear set is a nice shade of purple.

The first time I got help from a friend to get it up but I've had to manage on my own ever since Wink

Either came from Busters, M&P or HeinGerieke.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  past-it Sun Feb 12 2012, 22:55

Copycat, thats the same one I've got (same colour bike as well) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Bet you've not got a set of matching Oxford throw over bags in the same purple though Embarassed goes real well with the bike [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 13 2012, 16:25

I have to say ABBA stand too. I got mine new and I still think it was bargain but there's always a couple on eBay.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:11

Had to use a Paddock stand on the 'Cat today to do a few bits as my new adaptors for the ABBA havent turned up yet, my god i miss the ABBA!!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 244
Humour : Filthy!
Registration date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Feb 13 2012, 21:54

past-it wrote:Copycat, thats the same one I've got (same colour bike as well) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Bet you've not got a set of matching Oxford throw over bags in the same purple though Embarassed goes real well with the bike [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Snap....no my Oxford throw overs are red.
Close but no cigar.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down