Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All done and dusted and ready for her MOT. £600 well spent?

5 posters

Go down

All done and dusted and ready for her MOT. £600 well spent? Empty All done and dusted and ready for her MOT. £600 well spent?

Post  andylarkin Thu May 10 2012, 09:25

Well… my £600 gamble appears to have been a bargain (crosses fingers)

She is now refreshed, cleaned and pampered. The shock was totally fubar so a Hagon number is now in place and she has had all new cables, plugs, filters, pads and oils plus a cf front mudguard and she sits waiting for an MOT.

I've been through the suspension linkage and all the needle roller bearings appeared ok, but I gave them a clean up and re-grease (looks brand new after all that grime was removed). Fork seals appear ok. Anything else I should be looking at for MOT other than what I have covered thus far?

Cleaned up quite nicely if I say so myself

All done and dusted and ready for her MOT. £600 well spent? AL2_6530
All done and dusted and ready for her MOT. £600 well spent? AL2_6535
andylarkin
andylarkin
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 38
Hobbies : Graphic Designer / Photographer
Humour : Dry
Registration date : 2012-04-23

Back to top Go down

All done and dusted and ready for her MOT. £600 well spent? Empty Re: All done and dusted and ready for her MOT. £600 well spent?

Post  Snowcat Thu May 10 2012, 11:39

Where did you get the Hagon shock from and how much was it, mine in similar dire straits !!
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

All done and dusted and ready for her MOT. £600 well spent? Empty Re: All done and dusted and ready for her MOT. £600 well spent?

Post  Rosco Thu May 10 2012, 11:55

Nicely done.

Fingers crossed for you too.
Buy direct from Hagon - £299 delivered I seem to remember for the rear shock.

http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/

They do progressive front fork springs too.
Worth putting in a heavier than normal spec fork oil too.
There is a bit of work gettin the old one out.
Don't be tempted to release the pressure as a short cut as it is scary high pressure from the remote reservoir (rear left). My mechy fitted mine and didn't have to remove the undertray completely....he did break a wee bit of plastic in the process though but glued it back together.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  andylarkin Thu May 10 2012, 12:13

Mine had no pressure whatsoever so undoing the remote reservoir wasn't the hazard I anticipated… it slipped straight out after that.

I didn't get mine from Hagons as they were awaiting a new batch (they've done a slight upgrade in the last few weeks it seems - bloke that I spoke to owned a Cat too so knew all about the bike and was good with recommendations). So I hunted around ebay and found a new one for £290 plus delivery.

Not had a chance to road test it yet but will give you feedback when I'm road legal

Very Happy
andylarkin
andylarkin
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 38
Hobbies : Graphic Designer / Photographer
Humour : Dry
Registration date : 2012-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Stu Thu May 10 2012, 21:22

Bike looks really nice, good job.
Stu
Stu
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 129
Hobbies : Engineer/Surfing
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu May 10 2012, 21:34

andylarkin wrote:Mine had no pressure whatsoever so undoing the remote reservoir wasn't the hazard I anticipated… it slipped straight out after that.

The sticker that shows an explosion scared me enough.....not sure if I should congratulate or condemn. You and bike are still here though Smile
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Thu May 10 2012, 22:30

Cracking find there, sure does look like a tidy bargain All done and dusted and ready for her MOT. £600 well spent? 484924306
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down