Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crashworthiness of a Thundercat (with R+G crash bungs)!!

+8
0ldcat
Snowcat
Rosco
JDM
yamahamad
Radar
Panzerbuilder
alyr1481
12 posters

Go down

Crashworthiness of a Thundercat (with R+G crash bungs)!! Empty Crashworthiness of a Thundercat (with R+G crash bungs)!!

Post  alyr1481 Mon Dec 31 2012, 17:50

Just thought i let everybody know that I've just come off my thundercat and the only thing damaged is the crash bung- friggin remarkable/!!

The Story:

Driving through a small village (first time on this particular road) and we came to a very sharp corner so i dropped the speed and as we went round the corner a roundabout appeared (not sign post at all further up the road) so i was travelling at about 35 with about 20m to stop before the the roundabout. As i got further round the corner as i was braking i realised the entrance to the roundabout was covered with wet leaves. Just as i saw them the rear wheel let go and the pillion overtook me as the bike went down and slid onto the roundabout. There were 4 cars who saw the accident and they just drove around us and turned of the roundabout as we were on the floor, there was also a group of hikers who saw the accident and completely ignored us as we pushed the bike along the pavement to a car park. Im sorry but if i saw someone crash even in a car i would at least ask them if they were alright!!!

The damage:

The crash bung on the left handside melted losing about an inch of plastic. The gear selector adjuster cam loose and that was it not even a scratch on the fairing!! A few turns of a trusty leatherman and we were back up and running, albeit with both of our trousers ripped and the knee pads.

All in all i was very surprised how well the bike survived and i will be replacing the crash bungs as they pretty much saved the bike!!

However my pillion on i were furious with all the witness's who didnt even as if we were alright and the cars that just drove around us!! Steam Ears

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year and drives safe in 2013.

Alex
alyr1481
alyr1481
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 53
Hobbies : Uni Student/ IOM TT Lover and Hopefully One Day Racer
Humour : Plenty
Registration date : 2012-10-03

Back to top Go down

Crashworthiness of a Thundercat (with R+G crash bungs)!! Empty Re: Crashworthiness of a Thundercat (with R+G crash bungs)!!

Post  Panzerbuilder Mon Dec 31 2012, 17:58

1st Alex. I'm glad you and your pillion are okay.

2nd Im glad the Tcat is a little shaken but damaged. Very lucky.

As to the inconsiderate peeps well. Best left unsaid.

Drive safely in 2013.

Rich.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Crashworthiness of a Thundercat (with R+G crash bungs)!! Empty Re: Crashworthiness of a Thundercat (with R+G crash bungs)!!

Post  Radar Mon Dec 31 2012, 19:45

Glad you are basically ok.

I dropped a CB250N back in 1985 and one driver actually bumped up onto the kerb in order to get around me and striken bike...
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Mon Dec 31 2012, 19:46

As rich said glad you are both ok, can be a very different quite easily.

Happy new year.

Paul.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  JDM Mon Dec 31 2012, 20:02

Didn't realise we had another coventry cat on here but glad things evolved as well as they did, and sounds about the level of Coventry care!! All the best for new year!!
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 386
Hobbies : Fast Bikes & Faster Women
Humour : If you fall over for any reason i'm laughing!
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Dec 31 2012, 20:49

A fellow R&G fan who has tried them out here too.

Glad you are ok and the bike suffered minimal damage.

Hope you get everything back to normal soon.

Cheers
Rosco

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Dec 31 2012, 22:09

R & G all the way, my blade came with some dodgy hockey pucks attached like plugs ears, r&g are already on order!!

Glad you're okay though pal, cagers I expect nothing less from!!
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Mon Dec 31 2012, 22:36

Snowcat wrote: cagers I expect nothing less from!!
Oh I expect much less . . . . but never more green smile

Glad both you and the Cat survived mostly OK.

Happy New Year.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz1102 Tue Jan 01 2013, 00:44

+1 for R&G, had a similar off on black ice about a month ago. only casualties were the crash bung and a bent rear brake lever.

stay safe
Baz1102
Baz1102
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2012-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Tue Jan 01 2013, 12:15

Pleased your safe and OK, just goes to show you need to be alert, careful & expect the unexpected.

People seem reluctant to get involved these days, its a sad sign of the times.

I had a similar misshap but my pillion landed on top of me. Think yourself lucky lol.

Ride Safely chap x
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Tue Jan 01 2013, 14:48

sorry to hear of the off, but glad that you, your pillion and your cat are generally all ok great

as for the drivers and hikers not doing owt, is what I would expect, when I had my off it was exactly the same, and when my friend had her off people did exactly the same, leaves little faith in humanity at times!
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  alyr1481 Wed Jan 02 2013, 02:13

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

Alex
alyr1481
alyr1481
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 53
Hobbies : Uni Student/ IOM TT Lover and Hopefully One Day Racer
Humour : Plenty
Registration date : 2012-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Sun Jan 06 2013, 17:29

Only just seen this thread but thought I'd still reply.

I'm also a fellow R&G crash bung test dummy. They held very well, however in my incident, my bike went sliding down the road on the bung, so the bolt eventually bent and the front cowl was scratched and the brake pedal bent. However, the damage would have been much worse without them. And much worse if the bolt had snapped, luckily they aren't designed to snap, just bend.

Although in my incident, although I was knocked off by a cager, a lot of people stopped. One person stopped, asked if I wanted to phone the police and then did so on my behalf. One carried on, saw a police car further down the road and stopped and informed them of the incident and one in a lorry stopped and offered to be my witness, and then put my bike on his lorry and took it home for me. So don't lose all faith in humanity, there are a few good people out there, although few and far between unfortunately.

Glad to hear the you, the pillion and the bike are pretty much OK though.

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down