Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portsmouth Maritime Tour suggestions please.

+5
bobh
mechy69
HEHORE
BlueZed
Marine Boy
9 posters

Go down

Portsmouth Maritime Tour suggestions please. Empty Portsmouth Maritime Tour suggestions please.

Post  Marine Boy Mon Jul 01 2013, 11:20

Hi everybody. I'm going to be planning a 1 or 2 night camp down Portsmouth way for me and my mate on our bikes. I want it to have a maritime/navy theme to it pulling a few places of significant interest. I'm from Nottingham and have never been down that way save for catching the ferry to Caen a few years ago. Any suggestions for a good bike-friendly campsite/jumping off point for visiting places and anything else I could include in my itinerary would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance....MB
Marine Boy
Marine Boy
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Portsmouth Maritime Tour suggestions please. Empty Re: Portsmouth Maritime Tour suggestions please.

Post  BlueZed Mon Jul 01 2013, 12:06

Definitely go up to Portsdown Hill. You have great views from there and there's a nice Burger van in a lay-by where bikers meet up (or at least they did 7 years ago when I still lived in the area). Map-Link

There are a few forts on the hill where at least one is now a museum.

Here's some info: Wikipedia
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 317
Hobbies : Space cadet
Humour : NEIN!
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Portsmouth Maritime Tour suggestions please. Empty Re: Portsmouth Maritime Tour suggestions please.

Post  HEHORE Mon Jul 01 2013, 12:42

There is a lot to-do in the area , micks burger van on the hill ( still a big bike meet area open 24hr 364 days ) there's the forts up there , down in the town theres the historic dockyard, out on southsea sea front there is the D-Day museum,keeping on the sea front there is also a royal marines museum. across the water in gosport the is also explotion and the submarine museum. So lots of navy related places to visit . Can't help with the camping tho . Hope this helps , if you need anything else let us know and I see what I can do as I'm a local in this area , Steve
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Mon Jul 01 2013, 13:05

go see hms victory , plus hms warrior which are both in the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Mon Jul 01 2013, 23:22

I know iy's a bit further west, but I've camped at a couple of sites in the New Forest. Though that was some years ago when my kids really were kids:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you're in the New Forest, the Sammy Miller Museum is worth a visit, and you might fancy going along to Poole Bike Night.

Can get rather busy in that part of the world in holiday season, though.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Marine Boy Tue Jul 02 2013, 10:08

Thanks for the map of Portisdown hill BlueZed. The Sammy Millar museum looks great Bob. Things are taking shape. This place in Fareham looks good for a camp but I'll be checking out what the New Forest has too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Marine Boy
Marine Boy
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Tue Jul 02 2013, 10:11

click me For a look at alternate inexpensive accomm wink thumb up
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Tue Jul 02 2013, 15:47

If my memory serves me right, isn't Beaulieu motor museum pretty close to Portsmouth? That could be very interesting day out.
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Tue Jul 02 2013, 20:31

terry lees wrote:If my memory serves me right, isn't Beaulieu motor museum pretty close to Portsmouth? That could be very interesting day out.

That's correct Terry, it's in the New Forest also so may worth stopping through there. The Poole bike night is on a Tuesday night and takes place at Poole Marina so still keeping the naval theme.. also not too far from the New Forest.

If you do go to Portsdown Hill it may be worth finding a route onto the A272 (Petersfield to Winchester, one of best riding roads in Hampshire and is close by) there is also a biker (heavy) friendly cafe called Loomies on that route if you don't fancy a van stop.

Cheers

Paul
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Wed Jul 03 2013, 06:09

I'm sure if you fancy the portsdown hill / loomies run let me and Paul know the dates as were both local to the area and. The 272 is a cracking run , I'm currently planning a trip to do a272 begging to end about 6hr trip
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Jul 03 2013, 09:24

HEHORE wrote:I'm currently planning a trip to do a272 begging to end about 6hr trip

That's if the twenty's plenty club isn't out. Our mini-rideout last year did just about all of the A272 - Loomies to Ogri / Wessons Cafe.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Wed Jul 03 2013, 09:30

I may well be heading down to Loomies today as soon as the weather dries up Very Happy 
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down