Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helmet cams

5 posters

Go down

Helmet cams  Empty Helmet cams

Post  Guest Mon Dec 23 2013, 18:00

Anybody got one?

I'm thinking of purchasing a drift hd for 149.99 from actioncameras, seems like a good piece of kit...

Can i get better for that money?

That's the most i'm willing to pay.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Helmet cams  Empty Re: Helmet cams

Post  YZFJohn Mon Dec 23 2013, 18:13

I've got one but haven't had much chance to use it yet.

For that money you may not get a memory card with it so allow extra if not.

So far it seems nice and light and not as bulky as a go pro. In my box came loads of different fittings and the remote is nice to have. I also ordered one of their suction mounts and am very impressed with that for the money, think it was £24.99.

That's all the info I can give you for now.
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 23 2013, 19:01

Cheers YZFjohn

I appreciate the info left thumb up 
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Krusty Mon Jan 13 2014, 16:21

I've got a Contour Roam, it doesn't have the same level of tech in it, but it is extremely easy to operate - There's a single sliding switch on it that turns it on and starts it recording - slide it back and it turns it off, so you can turn it on and off with a gloved hand.

V good image quality and not too much rolling shutter provided it's mounted somewhere solidly. Company's ceased trading so you might be able to pick up a bargain somewhere?
Krusty
Krusty
1Silver
1Silver

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Jan 13 2014, 16:47

All good quality evidence for the police if they ever pull you over for doing (ahem) 31 in a 30 zone because the first they'll do is confiscate the camera and view the contents. Any shenanigans will be there for mr Rozzer to build a nice case against you. Never seen the benefit from that point of view because the better the camera, the better the court show
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Krusty Mon Jan 13 2014, 17:13

Snowcat wrote:All good quality evidence for the police if they ever pull you over for doing (ahem) 31 in a 30 zone because the first they'll do is confiscate the camera and view the contents. Any shenanigans will be there for mr Rozzer to build a nice case against you. Never seen the benefit from that point of view because the better the camera, the better the court show

Under what law?
Krusty
Krusty
1Silver
1Silver

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Mon Jan 13 2014, 18:46

i have a Gopro Hero 2, I use mine for more than just biking (diving and other outdoorsey stuff too) and cant fault it. it got run over two (my own fault) by 2 cars and survived after a bit of tinkering with it, now just need a new case for it.

I think the drifts are better as helmet cams, as its more streamlined and has a built in screen which the GoPro's dont, but saying that the new GoPros are much smaller lighter and pack more tech than mine.

maybe look at what you think you'll use the camera for then go from there.
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Jan 13 2014, 18:50

If you're involved in a case that goes to prosecution technically the the bike/camera etc becomes material to the case, heard of it happening to people I Know.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Krusty Mon Jan 13 2014, 19:45

Snowcat wrote:If you're involved in a case that goes to prosecution technically the the bike/camera etc becomes material to the case, heard of it happening to people I Know.

What were they prosecuted for and was the camera seized after they were arrested or cautioned?
Krusty
Krusty
1Silver
1Silver

Back to top Go down

Post  Krusty Mon Jan 13 2014, 21:05

MrNutt wrote:i have a Gopro Hero 2, I use mine for more than just biking (diving and other outdoorsey stuff too) and cant fault it. it got run over two (my own fault) by 2 cars and survived after a bit of tinkering with it, now just need a new case for it.

I think the drifts are better as helmet cams, as its more streamlined and has a built in screen which the GoPro's dont, but saying that the new GoPros are much smaller lighter and pack more tech than mine.

maybe look at what you think you'll use the camera for then go from there.

Gopros look like they should make a right racket, do they?
Krusty
Krusty
1Silver
1Silver

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Mon Jan 13 2014, 21:08

in terms of the footage recorded? yeah there is a fair bit of wind blast in the open backed case, but with the full waterproof case theres not too much.
but also I tend to edit my footage so when i edit i just mute the original mircophone track on my editing software.
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Krusty Mon Jan 13 2014, 21:18

MrNutt wrote:in terms of the footage recorded? yeah there is a fair bit of wind blast in the open backed case, but with the full waterproof case theres not too much.
but also I tend to edit my footage so when i edit i just mute the original mircophone track on my editing software.

I was thinking more about the noise in your helmet while you're riding. I found 3mm epdm rubber over the microphone helps with wind noise
Krusty
Krusty
1Silver
1Silver

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Jan 13 2014, 21:43

I have no idea how good this Hitachi action cam is, the price is appealing

Click me Spin

Regarding the videos shot and used in a case, I have heard that if you wish to use some of the video in defence, the legal system could take all the footage not only the part showing the incident.
I prefer to keep an extremely low profile displaying I have a cam on the bike
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Mon Jan 13 2014, 21:45

Krusty wrote:
MrNutt wrote:in terms of the footage recorded? yeah there is a fair bit of wind blast in the open backed case, but with the full waterproof case theres not too much.

I was thinking more about the noise in your helmet while you're riding. I found 3mm epdm rubber over the microphone helps with wind noise

maybe its me but i'd never really noticed any extra noise with it on while riding. i do have ear plugs in so that maybe why
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Krusty Mon Jan 13 2014, 22:13

SteveCat wrote:Regarding the videos shot and used in a case, I have heard that if you wish to use some of the video in defence, the legal system could take all the footage not only the  part showing the incident.
I prefer to keep an extremely low profile displaying I have a cam on the bike

Don't know about that, but I understand that evidence such as camera footage can be seized under s.19 PACE, where an officer suspects that the footage contains evidence of a criminal offence. They can't use this as an opportunity for a fishing trip and would have to have a reasonable suspicion or evidence of a crime having been committed - their motivation for seizing a camera would have to be to preserve evidence and they are not allowed to tamper with it - they would have to bag it and send it to forensics.

Looking at the kind of footage that you get from helmet cameras, I reckon that you have to ride like an absolute bell end to gather footage that is likely to seriously incriminate you, although there is plenty of that on YouTube.

The only other way that I know that they could seize your camera would be under section 43 of the terrorism act, possible if you're on the way home with a curry from the takeaway and have the wrong shaped beard, but probably unlikely.

I use my camera for my own protection.
Krusty
Krusty
1Silver
1Silver

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 13 2014, 22:20

I ended up getting a TCL SVC 200, and so far i'm really pleased with it.
I don't know if anyone is familiar with 'TECHMOAN' ?
he gave it a really good review and i went for it.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down