Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WeeMac 2015 - Part One, they let me stay in the 'Big Hoose'

Go down

WeeMac 2015 - Part One, they let me stay in the 'Big Hoose' Empty WeeMac 2015 - Part One, they let me stay in the 'Big Hoose'

Post  Radar Tue May 12 2015, 00:03

Finally after having to cancel at the last moment for 2013&14 I was making a return to the legendary WeeMac and the spectacular Broadmeadows Hall that has hosted the event in recent years. But before any fun could be had the long haul north had to dealt with, the better part of 300 miles, much of it on the M6. Luckily I would not be alone for the trip as I met up with Stevecat on the outskirts of Brum in the charming (ahem..) little town of Oldbury. Steve had rolled up on his shiny new MT-09 Tracer which was resplendent in deep red, definitely the best colour Steve. Well chosen!
I won't dwell too much on the trudge up the M6, suffice it to say we had to do a lot of filtering and both of us had a couple of incidents. Stevecat also pointed out to a MINI driver that updating your Facebook status while in the outside lane is not perhaps the brightest of ideas. Meanwhile I had to contend with a BMW driver who took exception to us picking our way past him and moved over to block me as I got level with his front wing....lovely chap!
After what seemed an eternity we got up on the northern section of the motorway where the views over the Pennines become expansive and the road a little windswept. Here as the backdrop improves and view in places really quite beautiful, even the M6 becomes bearable.
But the first real taste of real fun riding came as we peeled off the M6 and cut across the lower reaches of SNP land as Scotland is now known. By now it was late afternoon and the light was just about perfect, the sun and cloud mixing to giving the surrounding vistas an almost ethereal feel as the hills and forests rolled past this strip of open, quick tarmac. It was such a relief, like God himself (herself?) was rewarding us for putting up with the M6! I bet God is a biker, but doubt he rides a HD....not with roads like this about!
Suddenly the aches and pains begin to melt away and this section of the ride was highly enjoyable. Steve was still leading on the Tracer and I must say just how well matched he and his new Yam seem. Swift, assured, a match made in heaven to extend the religious theme I seem to have adopted!
Rolling up the drive into Broadmeadows never fails to impress, it is a stunning building and a welcome sight after several hours in the saddle. Not quite the place that people might expect a group of bikers to be staying. Fantastic.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Slightly better than a damp dome tent, and a very welcome sight at the end of a long ride

Unlike WeeMac2012 where I was banished to the 'Leper colony' down the road this time I was allowed to stay in the so called 'Big Hoose'. However there was a catch...this time I was banished to the tower, a climb up 64 steps in full kit dragging my Givi case left me a little breathless to say the least of it! All I needed now was long hair to hang out my window and await rescue by a beautiful princess...or something like that!

64 steps, did I mention it was 64 steps???

Once recovered I joined the main group back down the 64 steps. As ever it was great to catch up with some old friends and make some new ones. Ross was there, but on a BMW rather than a Thundercat. Poor old thing was broken again, and the Thundercat needed work too. Terry, Dirt Bike Dave, Chris, Davey, Billy, Robcat, Linz and their little 3 year old star Euan were all there. New faces included Mally, Darren, Athol, Ian, Gill and Karen.
Poor old Mally had not had the best of trips up, he had an accident on his freshly re-painted VTR Firestorm, but he was ok and the bike was still ridable thank goodness. The traditional first night pizzas were consumed with enthusiasm and the atmosphere was great right from the off. The scene in the kitchen where Darren, Steve and  DBD were linking up their helmet Bluetooth headsets was a little surreal especially through the haze of the several 'designer' beers that I had already consumed (Cheers Chris!)

The evening was good one as we moved into the huge living room and settle down in front of huge roaring log fire, chatting, laughing,  drinking 10 year old cask matured whiskey and playing obscure card and dice games with infinitely variable rules.
A long day, but a good one, and the riding was yet to come!

Part two to follow...

Last edited by Radar on Wed May 13 2015, 16:38; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo and got names in a muddle)
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down