Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter 'cat project

+10
yamrdtez
SteveCat
Digger1981
Rosco
Wooster
weasley
Catnapper
The White One
yamahamad
daNc
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

lol Winter 'cat project

Post  daNc Thu Nov 12 2015, 15:52

First topic message reminder :

Figured i'd start a thread here i couldn't see a dedicated "Projects" section and will help me document any/all work done to this thing.
I'm riding my gpz through the winter so this is likely going to sit for a while

Winter 'cat project - Page 2 IMAG2759_zpsaufzacgw

As i do with pretty much any vehicle i buy i normally strip it down to make sure there aren't any hidden surprises, which i've started doing on the 'cat.

First things first was replacing the pads that were worn down to the plate. Easy right?

Winter 'cat project - Page 2 IMAG2767_zps8lkezra8

well.. an easy job of cleaning up the pistons and putting new pads in turn into a right 'mare when one of the pistons popped out :( I've rebuilt both calipers now with new seals and bled the brakes through (both stupid jobs due to being a one piece caliper as well as having 4 pistons either side of the wheel)

Winter 'cat project - Page 2 IMAG2828_zpszgcmhton

test ride has been done and brakes didn't fail.. must have done something right  Laughing  Laughing

Next issue, one of the bolts holding the front mudguard on has sheared and looks to have been glued in to hide it. I'l have a go at drilling it out but i recon the monkey that did it cross threaded it which is why is snapped.

Oil change and full fairing removal happening before christmas
daNc
daNc
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2015-10-13

Back to top Go down

lol Re: Winter 'cat project

Post  daNc Mon Feb 15 2016, 10:45

little update Smile

its almost MOT time and im not 100% sure this is going to pass due to the front discs having a sizable lip :( its going to hurt buying 2 new discs for the front, thats for sure.

I managed to drill out the 2 stuck/snapped bolts yesterday which actually went fairly easily due to the china fairing bolts being made from cheese. If they were stainless bolts, like the ones i am replacing the lot with it would have been a real hassle.

All i need to do now before the MOT is to remember how to put all the fairing on and get the lines matching up as best as possible.
Hints/Tips on the fair | place the buy cheaper discs welcome

daNc
7Bronze
7Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Mon Feb 15 2016, 11:55

Machine/grind the lip off?
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  daNc Tue Feb 16 2016, 17:47

I had considered that but they're just within spec. It would probably cost a bit to get it done properly which is money better spent elsewhere.

Think I'm just going to go for it Replacing the disc bolts at the same time
daNc
daNc
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  daNc Fri Feb 19 2016, 10:25

pro-lite x discs ordered along with new EBC HH pads and 12 new disc bolts. i am poor now -_-

daNc
daNc
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  daNc Mon Feb 29 2016, 09:50

little update Smile

got the front discs and new pads swapped over this weekend Smile not really much fuss at all.

i'd recently put new pads on(and rebled the calipers after rebuilding them) using the old discs and when i removed them this weekend i noticed just how bad the situation was.. the pads i put on were evidently taller than the ones that came off. the pads were contacting the lip on the upper and lower part of the disc.... affraid the main meat of the pads weren't actually making contact with the discs so i had 8mm of disc height making contact with the pads on either side of the wheel!! the upper and lower lip was essentially creating a groove in the pads.

Good thing i'd only done about 5 miles on them.

OLD:
Winter 'cat project - Page 2 12800270_10153920279817464_761197227409463375_n_zpsj8augi47

NEW:
Winter 'cat project - Page 2 12670913_10153920279822464_1864399619751554175_n_zpsy62nnchk

Went for the first proper ride on this thing yesterday to bed the brakes in. A mate and i went up to H-Cafe which we'd been wanting to do for a while now.

Got to say im pretty impressed at the acceleration of it. It can be a bit of a faff getting off the line compared to my kawa twin but once you start getting a shift on you're doing 100+ without even realising it! Very Happy

Next job is to service the carbs and throttle/return cables. Oh and the MOT tomorrow
daNc
daNc
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  daNc Tue Mar 01 2016, 12:07

bloody brakes grumpy apparently due to all my focus on the front discs/fairing/exhaust work i missed various cracks in the rear discs and that the pads are almost out of service limit grumpy failed on the rear brakes and not having a reflector on the back (which just gets taken off 2 mins down the bloody road anyway). I don't mind it failing but im annoyed at myself for not spotting it earlier

New EBC rear discs, HH pads and new dot 4 on order now which will hopefully arrive before the re-test date. Expensive month for the ol 'cat
daNc
daNc
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Mar 02 2016, 08:13

Expensive indeed.

Make sure you get your money's worth out of it this year Smile

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  daNc Fri Mar 04 2016, 10:39

Rosco wrote:Expensive indeed.

Make sure you get your money's worth out of it this year Smile

Cheers
Rosco

Too right. Providing it goes through fine on tuesday it will be the main bike Smile
daNc
daNc
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  daNc Fri Mar 18 2016, 15:06

Afternoon ladies n gents.

The ol cat passed its MOT with only 1 advisory which was the loud exhaust Laughing no way round that really. I've been using it to commute to work most of the month now and something has started to bug me a bit..

a whiny noise (see attached video). It rides fine, pulls like a train up to well beyond the national limit and generally works well but theres this damn whiny noise like its a straight cut 'box (which its obviously not). Is this box on its way out or is it likely to something like a clutch release bearing?

noise pretty much goes away with the clutch in and is less apparent under load/accelerating but happens at any speed from the sounds of it.

Does anyone elses 'cat sound like this?

https://youtu.be/YJSLobwDj_c
daNc
daNc
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Mar 18 2016, 16:05

I couldn't hear anything out the ordinary, but then my hearing's not that good. The gear box does normally whine a bit, making more noise during de-acceleration. Yamaha seemed to made the noise worse with their newer models, my Tracer doesn't half make a clatter when the clutch is pulled in and it whines at higher revs sad .

I might be on the wrong track here, your idling don't sound right. Possibly it's just a pet niggle of mine, my 'cat sounded like that and often worse, had to give some beans on pull off  - I could never get it right, all the mechies I took it to disagreed with me saying it was the carbs. Eventually it wore me down and I traded it in. A few months later I asked the mechy what had he done to the bike, initially he didn't want to tell me but I was standing next to the shop owner and workshop manager - he said he had to rebuild the carbs. I do think mine were a basket case, but maybe something to look at.
Are my eyes deceiving me, that a high mileage you got there?
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Catnapper Fri Mar 18 2016, 16:19

I posted a similar thread, turns out to be three things rolled into one noisy problem
1/ Cat gearboxes are noisy!!!!
2/ Original front sprockets were rubber coated, pattern ones aren't.
3/ tight chain doesn't help.
In the end I took mine in to the mechy, he said no worries about the noise and slackened the chain off so it is just touching the swing arm with the bike upright & no-one sat on it.
Of course you realise all this won't stand up in a court of law if I'm wrong Laughing
Catnapper
Catnapper
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 365
Hobbies : Motoring, DIY
Humour : Lacking, Grumpy Old Man
Registration date : 2015-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  daNc Fri Mar 18 2016, 16:30

idle exhaust note is.. what it is Very Happy Very Happy  im pretty sure its the carbs that need a clean and re-balance as you said.  Its something i will tackle soon enough once i can spare a hundred or so for the float/gaskets/jets left thumb up

i do need a bit more revs to pull away most of the time as its clearly a bit dirty in the idle/lower throttle circuit but pulls fine once moving. Its just ticked over to 36k miles or so which isnt too bad

I'm glad to hear others confirming that these cat boxes are a bit noisey, makes me less paranoid. My chain is probably on the tight side as i had an advisory for it being too slack.
daNc
daNc
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  yamrdtez Mon Mar 21 2016, 22:40

just seen this post, i to have the same paint on my bike and did think it was a one off paint job. was it a limited edition painted cat.
yamrdtez
yamrdtez
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2016-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Mar 22 2016, 11:52

I think you have after market fairings fitted.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  yamrdtez Tue Mar 22 2016, 12:05

SteveCat wrote:I think you have after market fairings fitted.

thanks for your reply Steve, you are 100% correct. when i purchased the bike i was told this and that's why i thought it was a one off paint job.
yamrdtez
yamrdtez
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  daNc Tue Mar 22 2016, 15:19

yes indeed aftermarket (chinabay) fairing kit. I believe they're reps of the yamaha 50th anniversary livery. Yours looks like its missing the tank bit though

Winter 'cat project - Page 2 50th-anniversary-yamaha-livery
daNc
daNc
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  yamrdtez Tue Mar 22 2016, 15:36

oh yes, that looks good not a cat though. best thing i have seen from chinabay must buy a couple of those kits. i can put up with tank bits missing (overload)
yamrdtez
yamrdtez
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  daNc Fri May 27 2016, 15:06

today i did crash it wall

watching it slide down to road is not something i want to repeat. I'l post some pics of what it looks like but as it stand i need a new left crash bung, mirrror, generator cover and fairing. bar end and gear selector.
daNc
daNc
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri May 27 2016, 16:16

sad not a nice feeling at all, hope you are OK
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri May 27 2016, 18:47

Sorry to here that Dan. However, the bike can be repaired. Hope you are ok and unhurt. Body parts are a bit more difficult to fix and put right.

You'll have her right as reign soon enough.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Fri May 27 2016, 21:35

Sorry to hear that bud, hope you are ok. Bike can be fixed by the sound of things
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  The White One Sat May 28 2016, 06:47

That's not good at all, I don't think your far from me so if you need parts then I can give you my address and you can have a dig through the spares in the shed.
The White One
The White One
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 467
Hobbies : Riding, Fixing, Riding Fixing
Humour : Dry, witty, Known as the child.
Registration date : 2014-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sat May 28 2016, 20:24

Aw crap.

Sorry to hear that mate.

Been there done that and don't want to repeat it either.
Good luck with the restoration and hope you mend well too.

What happened?

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  daNc Tue May 31 2016, 09:23

thanks Folks. I'm alright, bit of a bash on the head and my left shoulder has been a bit iffy this last weekend but i'l live. Replacement lid is now on the way.

The bike lives too. I actually rode it 150 miles the following day to go fishing off the coast. It rides straight, just looks a bit shit now.

I've ordered R&G bungs to replace these ones, typically i found a listing for the generic ones i have on AFTER i ordered the R&Gs, a replacement shifter mech has been ordered too.
I've already replaced the generator cover as i had a spare one donated by a friend a few weeks ago! A brand new (old stock i think) yamaha oem cover that cost a lot more than it should new and i got it for free, result.

So far i still need a left mirror and a rear indicator. The indicators are aftermarket ones which i can't seem to find again so im thinking of reverting it back to the stock indicator set up

The fairing, given its an ebay aftermarket jobby with non-oem graphics is going to be more difficult to find so i'm just going to leave them as reminder not to be stupid Laughing  to add insult, not once but TWICE i forget i had the disc lock on and wheeled the bike back to a resulting crunching sound. So now the front wheel fairing has a split on both sides.. twat wall wall

Some pics:
Winter 'cat project - Page 2 2_zpsykcir6to
Winter 'cat project - Page 2 3_zpsm9byzin0
Winter 'cat project - Page 2 IMAG3295_zps93obwawe
Winter 'cat project - Page 2 IMAG3296_zpssgkgv0we
Winter 'cat project - Page 2 IMAG3297_zpsiui07aj8
Winter 'cat project - Page 2 IMAG3298_zpsc8ptp6kz
Winter 'cat project - Page 2 IMAG3299_zpsmmmcrbml
Winter 'cat project - Page 2 IMAG3300_zpseyl73kvh

If anyone has a set of rear indicators or a mirror let me know, i has cash waiting

Cheers
daNc
daNc
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  dudeofrude Tue May 31 2016, 18:02

I may be able to help. I've got both the bits you need but they aren't in mint condition. One mirror is missing the Base (cause i couldn't get it off my bike lol) but easy enough to swap. They are a bit scratched though?

The rear indicators both work and are in alright condition but one of them has had the connectors cut of so might need a bit of wire adding? Or maybe you could use them to repair current ones?

Either way they're yours for the price of postage if ya interested wink thumb up

Winter 'cat project - Page 2 20160510

Winter 'cat project - Page 2 20160512

Winter 'cat project - Page 2 20160511
dudeofrude
dudeofrude
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 426
Hobbies : Gym, Tattoos, Ps4
Humour : Sick, Sarcastic
Registration date : 2014-07-08

http://www.abstract-tattoos.com

Back to top Go down

Post  daNc Tue May 31 2016, 19:15

Ah that's perfect man, thank you! Does the mirror without the base have glass?

Sent you a msg
daNc
daNc
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next