Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie to Cats

+4
yamahamad
0ldcat
SteveCat
BiscuitLover
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Newbie to Cats - Page 2 Empty Newbie to Cats

Post  BiscuitLover Fri Jun 19 2020, 15:34

First topic message reminder :

Eyup!

The names Reece and I recently bought my first Cat. Its a 2001 model in red and the PO's taste is questionable (sorry if they're on here! Wink )... a half pink seat, pink handles on the rear, Tasmanian devil stickers everywhere, LOTS AND LOTS OF CARBON WRAP, a giant cat sticker on the windshield and to top it off metal spikes in the screw holes that hold the screen on! The good points are that they fitted a digital speedo and LED lights and heated grips (not sure if these work.

I bought the bike last week as a none runner with no MOT. It turns over, has good compression and seemed in good shape. Anyhow fast forward to yesterday where I took delivery of the Cat and I managed to get it started within 10 minutes with assistance from some easy start (I know, don't judge... I just wanted to see what the engine sounded like). It wouldn't stay running on its own and since it had been stood for 5 years (my assumption based on when it last had an MOT) I decided to pull it apart and have a go at the carbs. Other than a few strong words, a lot of grunting from me and rounded off screws from the PO, I managed to get them off - HOW MUCH OF A PAIN IN THE A**E ARE THEY TO REMOVE?!

I'm not a stranger to the inside of a carb body, my last bike was a 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim US Import, also a none runner (I can see a theme starting here), which I broke apart from the rack and completely stripped down changing all seals & cleaned up the insides in an ultrasonic bath.

On the Cat I've not taken them from the rack. I've taken the tops and the bowls off, removed all screws/jets/needles including A/F mixture (counting the current setting they were at and setting back to it... all were 1 & 3/8ths out as they are at factory setting) and blasted with carb cleaner and sprayed all orifices that I could see. They weren't as gummed up as a I thought however they were coated in varnish and had oxidised after being stood for so long so I used the trusted boil in water with a splash (bottle) of lemon juice thrown in for good measure... they came up a right treat!

So that is where I'm at at the moment. I lost a lot of coolant when I took the carbs off even though the pipe was kept upright so I'll need to flush the system and replace that whilst the carbs are off.

My next steps are to give it a service: oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs and clean the chain up/check tension. I'll then rebuild the carbs once the new gasket seals arrive and then balance them using the Morgan carb tuner pro that I have - amazing piece of kit.

I do have a carb related question which I'll post in the fuelling section of The Workshop so if you read this please check that out for me!  Very Happy

Here's a link to my Google Drive where I've added a few pictures that I've taken as I've gone along. They're not in any particular order and are mainly reference points for me to show me how it came apart as well as showing some before and after cleaning pictures.

Oh and if you made it this far, my favourite biscuit is a chocolate hobnob!

Happy riding!
Reece
BiscuitLover
BiscuitLover
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2020-06-15

Back to top Go down

Newbie to Cats - Page 2 Empty Re: Newbie to Cats

Post  bobh Fri Jun 26 2020, 23:08

Are you absoultely sure that all the jets are clear? The holes are quite tiny and can easily get clogged up with residue from old petrol, and even ultrasonic cleaning doesn't always shift it. I've found blasting through with carb cleaner from an aerosol usually does the trick.

Good luck - Bob

bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  BiscuitLover Fri Jun 26 2020, 23:10

Thanks Bob, yes I’ve had them apart twice. Used carb cleaner spray and boiled them. Then sprayed again. When I took them apart the second time they were just as clean as when I did it the first time. All the old fuel was drained and flushed.

Waiting on a new pump and will take it from there.

Cheers
BiscuitLover
BiscuitLover
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Sun Jun 28 2020, 16:45

Have you replaced the fuel filter?, overlooked by a lot of people & could be the original & blocked partially
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  BiscuitLover Sun Jun 28 2020, 17:04

Yes mate I have
BiscuitLover
BiscuitLover
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  furball Sat Jul 04 2020, 10:14

Any update???
furball
furball
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 833
Humour : OH!!! Yes Please
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  BiscuitLover Sun Jul 05 2020, 21:17

Sorry for being quiet, work was busy and I haven't had much time to fiddle with the bike.

New pump works a treat, got the bike started and ticking over/revving up nicely. Then it struggled to start, I couldn't for the life of me get it going again after a week.

Sent it to my buddy and he took the carbs apart and the O-rings in the fuel valve (not sure of its name but its the part where the float needle sits into inside the float bowl) were baaaad and were just letting fuel in.

He put his own carbs on (he's a cat owner) and it fired right up. Going to replace the o rings next and take it from there.
BiscuitLover
BiscuitLover
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Jul 06 2020, 17:20

Hi Reece

Your symptoms sound very like the symptoms I had (have) on my other thundercat.
I managed to get a spare set of carbs too but have they are still sitting on the bench coz I’m lazy / over-worked.
Still watching with interest and hoping you get a cheap fix (and mine is too)

It’s probably best that you’re not learning from me anyway as I have a habit of breaking them.

Good luck .... again.

Cheers
Rosco

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  BiscuitLover Mon Jul 06 2020, 20:12

Thanks Rosco, I’ve got a carb repair kit on order. Once it’s be fitted and the carbs are back on the bike/synced I’ll have a better understanding of what’s wrong. I’ve ordered some new tyres (Bridgestone battlax bt-023) to go on it. Everything should be delivered mid week and if the bike runs she’s going for an MOT.

Fingers crossed I’ll be up and running soon, and if I am I’ll be looking to tag along to some meets!

You should take the float bowls off and check that screw. I’ll add some pictures and a video of what I mean to my google drive and update here.

Thanks
Reece
BiscuitLover
BiscuitLover
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  BiscuitLover Mon Jul 06 2020, 20:25

Link to Google Drive with added pictures/video.

Rosco you'll see the screw things I'm referring to in there with the O-Rings (still don't know their name).

My buddy also did some re-wiring of the aftermarket digital clocks. The PO just had it all in a mess - before and after pics in the drive.

I also smashed my phone the same day the bike ran... a small victory marred :(
BiscuitLover
BiscuitLover
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Jul 07 2020, 14:31

Sounds good on the bike front  Smile  ....not so much on the phone front sad
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  BiscuitLover Fri Jul 17 2020, 23:44

Well she lives, MOT passed with zero advisories. Issue was o rings in the float needle seats as mentioned before. Happy days!
BiscuitLover
BiscuitLover
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri Jul 17 2020, 23:50

Happy Days indeed.

Glad you’re sorted.

Maybe see you on a rideout soon Reece.

Cheers
Rosco.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  BiscuitLover Sat Jul 18 2020, 08:59

Cheers Rosco.

Hopefully, I was looking at the Lincolnshire meet but noticed there’s only a 3 bed room left. Not a big fan of sharing rooms, as weird as that is!
BiscuitLover
BiscuitLover
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sat Jul 18 2020, 09:20

Glad you got it fixed, well done.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sun Jul 19 2020, 11:07

BiscuitLover wrote:Cheers Rosco.

Hopefully, I was looking at the Lincolnshire meet but noticed there’s only a 3 bed room left. Not a big fan of sharing rooms, as weird as that is!

Yes - they are all weird but in relatively nice ways.

If you can talk someone you want to share with into coming I’m sure Chris can jiggle the rooms about and you can have a twin / double.

We don’t all NEED to stay in the same place though.
it just makes it easier to start at the same place.
We regularly have ride out with folks staying at different venues.

Just waiting on Chris advertising the threesome now.
Can’t wait!

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down