Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speedo drive problem

2 posters

Go down

OhNo Speedo drive problem

Post  blackcat23 Tue Jul 26 2011, 20:53

wall Can anyone help me with my speedo problem. A couple of weeks ago the speedo tab washer had worn down, on my 96` thundercat. Took it to bike mechanic where he got me the new part and fitted it. It ran fine for about a week until i heard a rattling/grinding noise and the speedo has packed in again. Anyone know whats wrong or has the mechanic dropped a clanger somewhere.
blackcat23
blackcat23

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-07-26

Back to top Go down

OhNo Re: Speedo drive problem

Post  SteveCat Tue Jul 26 2011, 21:09

Probably the drive gear is sticking and caused the Clutch meter (tabbed washer) to break/wear down in the first place. If you can get the drive gear off the front wheel, disconnect the speedo cable and turn the gear where the tabbed washer would connect .. chances are it is turning but requires a lot of force and isn't smooth. In my experiences a replacement would be required.

The original drives are made of nylon, the newer ones from brass. I had the same problem and have gone through 2 clutch meters and the New Genuine Yamaha replacement drive lasted me 6 or so months. Thinking is the brass gear can overheat.

Welcome to the site, like to drop by the new members and post a Hi
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

OhNo Re: Speedo drive problem

Post  blackcat23 Thu Jul 28 2011, 21:21

Thanks v.much, il get these drive gears checked out. Would do it myself but havnt got any stands as im new to riding.
blackcat23
blackcat23

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-07-26

Back to top Go down