Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First ride of the year ............

+6
0ldcat
ellie
Snowcat
YZFJohn
kwakkat
internetbiker
10 posters

Go down

ThumbsUp First ride of the year ............

Post  Guest Sun Jan 08 2012, 10:55

always assuming of course that i can still get me gear on I will be having a jolly wee jaunt around Lincolnshire - dry out, no wind so time to wrap up warm and strike her up.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

ThumbsUp Re: First ride of the year ............

Post  internetbiker Sun Jan 08 2012, 17:34

I was out today in Lincolnshire! Started in Market Deeping then headed up the A15 to Lincoln with the aim of having a look at the Ducati shop - it was closed.... So we headed to the Honda shop in Grantham quick look around then headed back down the A1 to colsterworth and then the A151 to Bourne and back home. A bit of rain once we got to Bourne but was a good ride! Very Happy
internetbiker
internetbiker
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-09-30

https://www.youtube.com/clarkey140

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sun Jan 08 2012, 20:34

out today round the matlock dale,s nice to get on the bike again
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Mon Jan 09 2012, 09:44

I was out on Sunday and went to Colsterworth, B767 to Melton Mowbry and then down A6006.

B676 was bags of fun, but the A6006 was boring - to many speed restrictions.

If the whether is reasonable I will be out this weekend.
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Jan 09 2012, 11:41

Although not needed for the commute I've tried to keep out on "The Mistress" as long as the weather is fine. Being a new rider I felt getting as many miles under my belt would be a good thing but I'm now beginning to feel it is a hindrance, this may seem a little contradicting but I think because of the conditions I'm riding TOO cautiously.

Not a bad thing you may say but it's affecting my confidence now and I feel like I'm going backwards experience wise. Going overly too slow round corners in the wet but finding myself bricking it now if taking a dry corner.

Don't know what to do for the best, I'm no speed demon and take things easy anyway but I'm at the point where I'm terrified to lean the bike even slightly, ideas anyone??

I think it is just a confidence thing but how much lean will it take in the wet?? I know it depends in tyres etc but I'm riding like I'm on rails at the moment.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Mon Jan 09 2012, 12:21

I've been in the same place Steve so I will try to help, but it isn't always easy to put down in words. I can recommend a good book that can help: 'A Twist of the Wrist' by Keith Code, look it up on Amazon etc.

Here Goes:

Your problem all in the mind. Not relaxing is your enemy and it gets a vicious circle as not relaxing makes you apprehensive and being apprehensive makes you nervous and your cornering goes to shi...

In your mind the bike has already slipped on the bend even before you have reached it and you are now not in a relaxed controlled state to take the bend.

Take more time when approaching and form a plan of how you will take the bend. This will give yourself time to get relaxed (make sure your arms and shoulders are not tense), make your approach speed comfortable to allow your self time to form the plan of how you will take the bend, spot your turn in point in good time, make sure your approach line is good and do not deviate from your plan of how you are going to take the bend. Look for your exit point and don't let your head deviate from this - focus on the exit and you won't notice that it is even wet and your confidence will grow and find that you have more grip than you realize.

Speaking from experience of having the back slip, if it does happen ease the throttle back don't snap it back or the bike will high side and you'll get a free flying lesson or groin strain trying to hold on. lol

Your a bit far from me, but if you can find a ride buddy tit may help to ride with someone.

John.

YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Jan 09 2012, 12:56

Your a bit far from me, but if you can find a ride buddy tit may help to ride with someone.

No need to be rude wall
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Jan 09 2012, 12:59

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to take it on board, I know it's all in my mind, i will try to get hold of that book I've heard about it before.

Trouble with getting a ride buddy is all my experienced rider friends are fair weather so won't be out til about May. The only exception being the guy I passed my test with but he, to be honest is a terribly nervous rider and my jaunts out with him don't ten to help.

The school where I passed my test offered me lessons to ride MY bike and I think I may take them up on it.

We'll see what happens:)
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Mon Jan 09 2012, 14:44

ellie wrote:

No need to be rude wall

Trust u to spot a typo Ellie! pmsl
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Mon Jan 09 2012, 22:42

You could always find out if your local police force are doing a bikesafe course . . . just an idea. Thumb
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  stevemcc Mon Jan 09 2012, 23:27

Kieth Codes "Twist of the Wrist 2" is also on video. I managed to (eh mm), download a copy, its a bit cheesy but well worth a watch just for the info.
Mr Code goes extensively into cornering and the science behind it, I must have watched it 6 or 7 times via my ipod during long boring flights and I must admit I've learned loads from it.
Ive only been riding since November and only clocked up 800 miles so far, both with and without a buddy and cant recommend this vid enough.
Enjoy
stevemcc
stevemcc
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 192
Hobbies : Aviation Engineer
Registration date : 2011-11-16

Back to top Go down

ThumbsUp Hi from newby

Post  tamfox Tue Jan 10 2012, 00:15

Hi y'all Im new to riding as well and an old un sometimes feel the same,just a wee bit apprehensive,but Im sure we'll get there in the end.Happy new year everyone.
P.S. Also looking fir a single seat cowl,as lots of others.working offshore at the moment,home in a week and will intoduce myself properly,you all seem like a nice bunch of genuine people.Hope to speak to you all soon.Tam
tamfox
tamfox

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Jan 10 2012, 03:22

Wouldn't worry about high siding it.
I think you really have to be 'over' pushing it for that to happen.

Find some roads, roundabouts you are happy with and just relax as per Manor's post and build up the lean angle / speed a little bit at a time.

To do it on roads you are not familiar with you need to be able to read the road well and look out for anything that requires your attention.

Good road positioning helps.

A bike safe course and or further training should help with this.

I quite like to practice going a bit wide into corners and then tightening them (just to prove I can avoid something)

If you're going fast enough to not be able to do this then you're going too fast.

As someone who has had a few 'little' rear tyre slides i know it is very difficult not to just 'snap' the throttle off as it's a bit instinctive.
Just turn also into the slide and all will be well......or it has been for me so far.

The biggest one I had was showing off trying to overtake Dirt Bike Dave going up a grassy hill at last years Bishops Castle.
I think I was almost sideways by the time it stopped sliding.
After I'd cleaned my underwear I was a bit more confident Wink

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Tue Jan 10 2012, 11:46

Thanks for that Rosco should be really helpful. Just need to find some time to get out and practise practise practise!! I know it's all in my head
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Tue Jan 10 2012, 19:36

Thoroughly recommend the bikesafe course. £25 for a couple of hours 1-2-1 with a very experienced motor cycle cop. A few gizzets and an hours classroom discussion.

Plus ride outs. Big mac in 2009 was a great confidence booster for me. Once I had learnt not to try and keep up with evryone else. Rolling Eyes
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Tue Jan 10 2012, 20:31

I've got a friend who is involved with the institute of advanced motorists and he's going to sort me out a heavy discount to do that as well but I'm on the lookout for a bike safe course
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down