Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First ride in anger this year - Lake District

+3
Eddie990
billyw
frazmcfraggle
7 posters

Go down

First ride in anger this year - Lake District Empty First ride in anger this year - Lake District

Post  frazmcfraggle Sun Jul 22 2012, 19:45

Following the move south of the border and the Cat being left in Paisley to be fixed I finally got her down a fortnight ago, tippy toes on the way down due to a new front and rear tyre. So today was the first chance I have had to get her out properly and have a bit of fun.

Headed off from Carlisle on the A595 to Cockermouth, great name so thought i would go see if it lived up to its name. Some good bits of road on this part and most of the locals seemed to be bike friendly, moving over in the lane to let me pass easily. Quick cigarette stop in Cockermouth and realising that it wasnt going to live up to its name headed off again over the back road to Lorton, great wee back road and the scenery started to filter through. Quick left and I was onto the B5292 heading over the Whinlatter Pass. Couple of close encounters with a pair of Osprey, a quick avoidance of a red squirrel and was heading back down the pass. What a view half way down on the left hand side to Bassenthwaite Lake the only actual Lake in the Lake District. Followed down and joined the A66 briefly before cutting through Keswick and heading south to Windermere on the A591.

Again a lovely scenic road, however as i travel on this by car most weeks it was head down, arse up and before i knew it was at Windermere Train Station. Another quick cigarette and a Red Bull and it was off over The Kirkstone Pass heading to Ullswater. Again stunning road and the views on the way down were magnificent. Fair bit of traffic on way down and few chances to pass so when i had a gap i took it. Thanks to the boy racer in the 1 litre Clio who decided to get right up my arse after i passed him so quickly cleared next car and as traffic thinned out on towards Penrith.

Stopped in at Penrith and another quick fag, just before i pulled over caught site of a great looking old car pulling out behind me so i slowed and was having a look in the wing mirrors so as i pulled over to stop for the smoke he pulled in behind me. Said he saw me taking an interest so turns out it was a cracking example of a 1952 Peugeot 203A, Looked very hot Rod like and mean at the front hence my interest. Anyway interior all original but he has dropped a 2 litre engine in it so goes like stink, not that you would have guessed as he was typical mid 60s cap and tweed jacket bloke. Great when people just stop for a blether. Anyway A6 up to Carlisle and not a thing on the road so got a chance to open the Cat up and before long I was back in Carlisle.

110 miles done and I feel a bit like John Wayne after a fair lay off from the bike but huge smile on my face - now i remember why i took this job, The Lakes, The Dales and the Borders to choose from every time i jump on the bike. Good times clink
frazmcfraggle
frazmcfraggle
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 182
Hobbies : On The Buses
Humour : Sarcastic / Cheeky
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

First ride in anger this year - Lake District Empty Re: First ride in anger this year - Lake District

Post  billyw Sun Jul 22 2012, 22:02

Sounds like a good run out Fraz. Will have to get you across the border soon.
Cheers
Billy
billyw
billyw
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1098
Hobbies : Teacher/ sports/ music
Humour : As often as possible
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

First ride in anger this year - Lake District Empty Re: First ride in anger this year - Lake District

Post  Eddie990 Fri Jul 27 2012, 16:32

Thats our regular weekend haunt Fraz, will have to give you a shout next time we're out for a Lakes or Dales ride out.

Chris
Eddie990
Eddie990

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  frazmcfraggle Fri Jul 27 2012, 17:28

Yeah deffo chris, will look forward to it, and billy will catch up soon for a wee jaunt too
frazmcfraggle
frazmcfraggle
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Fri Jul 27 2012, 17:47

Hi Fraz, We think we'll be having breakie in windermere sun. morning then riding up to carlisle and then doing the coast road from annan thru to dumfries and on towards stranraer, could meet at gretna 11 ish if you fancy.
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  frazmcfraggle Sat Jul 28 2012, 01:00

Hi terry, away on hols from tomoro with wee one down south of england but next time ur up this way would love to meet up
frazmcfraggle
frazmcfraggle
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  dick65 Mon Mar 25 2013, 20:04

nice run m8 ,next time you could head to alston from penrith and up hartside pass have a brew at the cafe then you can take the road to brampton and back to carlisle up the A69 ,i might meet you up there sometime its my local stomping ground Thumb
dick65
dick65
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 23
Humour : broken
Registration date : 2013-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Mon Mar 25 2013, 22:07

Blimey, I read this thinking some lunatic had been off for a ride around The Lakes - today!

Must check the dates; must put the glasses on! wall

Thought he was doing a bit well to get over Whinlatter Pass Shocked in 10ft of snow!
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue Mar 26 2013, 00:16

I was thinking.....what is Fraz thinking too.

You can take a man of of Scotland....

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down