Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blast through Wales in preparation for the Bishops Castle rideout

+4
kwakkat
Deso
0ldcat
robertcains
8 posters

Go down

Blast through Wales in preparation for the Bishops Castle rideout Empty Blast through Wales in preparation for the Bishops Castle rideout

Post  robertcains Mon Apr 13 2009, 14:24

I didn't really need the BC rideout as an excuse to go playing in Wales again but it kept the missus happy that I was doing some research rather than simply taking a day out to play Very Happy

I got up sharpish yesterday to make an early start but as soon as I opened the curtains I had to go & get my thermals out as there was thick frost all over the ground, A cup of tea & I was ready to go.
I was really grateful for the heated grips i recently fitted as I'd opted for my vented summer gloves knowing that it would warm up later on.

A steady ride was in order early on due to the road conditions & also the possible intervention of Mr plod as I started my 350 mile run, I cut across country to Welshpool & followed the main road towards the coast which was all going to plan until i felt the bike hesitate under acceleration Crying or Very sad Not sure if I'd imagined it or not I carried on but I soon realised I'd actually got a problem with the usually faultless reliability that the 'cat has given me.
Decision time now then, Do I carry on & hope it sorts itself out or do I turn back for home? The latter option was always going to be a final resort so as the problem got worse I was trying to detect what the cause may be by the way it was misbehaving. I concluded that it was possibly some dirt in the carbs & when I stopped to get some fuel gave the old girl a quick check over of plug leads etc & thankfully the problem was cured upon starting her up again & she was excellent from then on.

I found myself completely in the groove from then on & was all day which was great so I ragged the bike like you can only do when riding solo & headed for Dinas Mawddy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I then headed off for one of my favourite scenic routes down through the Corris valley

Instead of following the road through to Machynleth as I usually do i turned off at the bottom of the Valley & aimed for Tywyn which turned out to be a complete revalation of a road which took me around the lake in the base of the valley

I love this photo & have set it as my wallpaper on the PC

I then carried out my plan of grabbing a full English breakfast to perfection, I rolled into Aberdyfi & to the cafe I have used on so many of my early morning rides & found that one of the three outside tables was free so sat down to be waited upon & watch other bikes roll by.

Extra Black pudding was order of the day & my diet went well & truly out of the window

Feeling rather smug that everything was going to plan now & fully refreshed by the lovely brekkie I headed for Snowdonia & the Pen-y-pas which was heaving with traffic & walkers as it was the Bank holiday weekend.

The weather was absolutely gorgeous & I was struggling to keep my huge grin inside my helmet as I rode around some of the best areas that Wales has to offer, Venturing through Abersoch & Pwllheli I turned off towards Lake Bala which is like home turf to me now & taking in one last stop for a photo as I reached the top of the mountain heading into Pen-y-Bont Fawr.

I hope to be able to include a few of these routes on the Bishops Castle ride & hope you will enjoy them as much as I do. I also totally finished off my rear tyre which will have to be replaced (and possibly the front too) before I head up to Lincolnshire in early May

I finished the day off by meeting some old school friends for a few beers which was fantastic but has left me with a stinking hangover today so please forgive me if the write up could be better clink
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Blast through Wales in preparation for the Bishops Castle rideout Empty Re: Blast through Wales in preparation for the Bishops Castle rideout

Post  0ldcat Mon Apr 13 2009, 16:52

I cut across country to Welshpool & followed the main road towards the coast which was all going to plan until i felt the bike hesitate under acceleration Not sure if I'd imagined it or not I carried on but I soon realised I'd actually got a problem with the usually faultless reliability that the 'cat has given me.
Decision time now then, Do I carry on & hope it sorts itself out or do I turn back for home? . . .

. . . so as the problem got worse I was trying to detect what the cause may be by the way it was misbehaving. I concluded that it was possibly some dirt in the carbs & when I stopped to get some fuel gave the old girl a quick check over of plug leads etc & thankfully the problem was cured upon starting her up again & she was excellent from then on.

Me thinks from your description of the weather conditions that you suffered some carb icing early on in the day. After the stop the engine heat would have cleared the problem by warming the carbs just enough.
I suspect that by then, after the fuel stop, it had warmed up weatherwise just enough for the problem not to reoccour.

Some stonking photo's there mate and not a bad write up either. If the BC meet goes as well we're in for a great weekend. great

My vote for the wallpaper picture goes to the big breakfast close up BTW What a Face clown jocolor
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Blast through Wales in preparation for the Bishops Castle rideout Empty Re: Blast through Wales in preparation for the Bishops Castle rideout

Post  Deso Mon Apr 13 2009, 17:19

Looks like you had a great day Nick. Wicked photo's.

0ldcat wrote:
My vote for the wallpaper picture goes to the big breakfast close up BTW What a Face clown jocolor

Laughing Laughing Making me hungry just looking at it.( Apart from the black pudding Sick )
Deso
Deso
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 74
Hobbies : Driving Instructor/ Bikes
Humour : I have a bit
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Mon Apr 13 2009, 18:21

0ldcat wrote: Me thinks from your description of the weather conditions that you suffered some carb icing early on in the day. After the stop the engine heat would have cleared the problem by warming the carbs just enough.

You could be spot on Tel, I hadn't considered that as I didn't think the conditions were that bad great
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Tue Apr 14 2009, 19:59

some great picture,s
how long to go
im going to bed early every day so it comes sooner lol
ps you lucky lucky man to have roads like that on your door step
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstruck Tue Apr 14 2009, 20:18

seeing pics like that reminds how lucky i am living here in North Wales Very Happy

theres a law around these parts, dont u know! photos aren't to be published for public viewing as we like to be very selfish and keep the area and SHEEP to ourselves, no visitors as we get the roads to ourselves, even Mr Brumstrom and his army of speed cameras is aware of this law to keep jonny foriener out.
the exception to this law is only when you invite a yokel and promise a clink .

Glad you enjoyed the views, food and roads
thunderstruck
thunderstruck
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 42
Hobbies : cctv/intruder alarms, you know big brother stuff
Humour : wots that?
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Apr 14 2009, 21:22

There's another secret Welsh weapon to try and keep us away - Rain!

Great to see the sun in those pics, looks fantastic. My recollection of those scenes was in wet gear and a misted visor. Mind you when I arrived it was a glorious day, but I think when I had the cheek to stay over the secret weapon was hauled out :(

My money's also on carb icing, was just thinking on Saturday morning I shouldn't have packed the dry fuel away- probably would have needed it around here. Decided not to go out as the weather was so nasty - unusual for me, will go out in just about any condition.

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstruck Tue Apr 14 2009, 21:41

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

not sure if link works but checkout my chichen strip, thats 2000miles of riding since last September in all weathers, mainly cold n wet :(
Rain is just the norm over here, get well jealous when watching the weather forcast on telly Very Happy
thunderstruck
thunderstruck
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 42
Hobbies : cctv/intruder alarms, you know big brother stuff
Humour : wots that?
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadge Thu Apr 16 2009, 08:49

Nice Pics and lovely looking Cat great
Cadge
Cadge
2Bronze
2Bronze

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun May 03 2009, 12:20

Excellent pics, looking forward to the run. I hope to joing the ride on May 30. Where can I meet everybody?
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Sun May 03 2009, 21:24

Radar wrote:Excellent pics, looking forward to the run. I hope to joing the ride on May 30. Where can I meet everybody?

Give me a shout nearer the time Tony & we'll ride into BC together m8, Cuppa at mine first?
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Mon May 04 2009, 00:14

robertcains wrote:
Radar wrote:Excellent pics, looking forward to the run. I hope to joing the ride on May 30. Where can I meet everybody?

Give me a shout nearer the time Tony & we'll ride into BC together m8, Cuppa at mine first?

Sounds like a plan, should have new tyres and C&S by then too
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down