Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

battery flat

+7
stevemcc
SteveCat
Snowcat
Wooster
weasley
bobh
mdrb1979
11 posters

Go down

battery flat Empty battery flat

Post  mdrb1979 Wed Dec 05 2012, 20:29

hi all

Fair weather biker here. I went to start the cat (p-reg) the other day, flat battery. I charged the battery overnight, she started fine next day took her out for a run. Due to weather and work i havent been able to get out for 2 weeks. Go to turn her over, flat battery. She had no alarm etc. Is it usual in cold weather for batteries not too hold charge when not used or is the battery on way out?

Also what d other fair weather bikers do with batteries over winter.

Ta
mdrb1979
mdrb1979
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

battery flat Empty Re: battery flat

Post  bobh Wed Dec 05 2012, 21:27

Batteries certainly lose some power when it's cold. A mate once had a Lada (remember them?) and the owner's handbook recommended turning the headlights on for 10 minutes in very cold weather to warm up the battery before trying to start the car. But I guess they were talking about a Russian winter, with serious cold.

Unfortunately, lead-acid batteries like to be kept topped-up, so once it's been flattened it's possible that it will never recover to full health. A spell on an Optimate or similar may recover it so it's usable again, but no guarantee.

I think most bike manuals recommend taking the battery out and gving it a boost charge from time to time, if the bike's not going to be used for more than a month. Alternatively, if the bike's somewhere in reach of a cable, fit a charging point and hook it up to an Optimate permanently, or at least on a regular basis. This is what I do with my 'Cat, though that does have an alarm so it needs to be kept topped up.

By the way, did you use a bike-specific charger? Car chargers have too high an output to use on a bike battery for any length of time, and can over-charge and damage it.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Wed Dec 05 2012, 21:36

I have an Optimate charger; the bike stays plugged into it over long lay-up periods. Always starts on the button and, as far as I know it's the original battery (also a 97/P bike).
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Thu Dec 06 2012, 00:38

I'd go with buying a new one, it's going to be as reliable as rubbing the AA's from your TV remote in your hand from here on out.

Same goes for car batteries, if it's getting sluggish in cold weather it's a certainty it's going to let you down when you're freezing your balls off and late for work as it is. Neutral
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Dec 06 2012, 08:00

Agreed, new battery and the buy an optimate/oximiser, there's some pretty good deals on at the moment, they keep your battery conditioned tip top plus are an early warning system to potential problems.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Dec 06 2012, 09:07

Two things happen to a battery in the cold, the capacity to hold a charge is reduced the colder it gets which is worsened with battery age. The other is the engine is harder to turn so requires more starting current.

It is normal for any battery to slowly 'go flat' when not used even without alarms and other items drawing off it. As has been said, bike batteries in particular do not take kindly to going totally flat and can refuse to accept a charge.

Some bike specific battery chargers will show the condition of the battery, if you have one of these types I'd trust what it said - if it comes up weak then time to get a new battery, otherwise keep the charger hooked up and it could be good for a few more years.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  stevemcc Thu Dec 06 2012, 19:16

I have 2 Oxford Optimisers, one for each bike. you can pick up a oximiser 600 or 601 for around £20, the 900s are slightly more if you want a numerical display instead of lights.
Our bikes stay plugged in whenever they are not being used and start on the button every time, even when the Mrs bike hasn't been used for months.
The initial fitting takes about 10 minutes, seat up, battery terminals unscew, fit supplied lead, terminals back on, find somewhere to tiewrap the socket(mine is on the pillion footpeg bracket), seat refit, job done.
stevemcc
stevemcc
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 192
Hobbies : Aviation Engineer
Registration date : 2011-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Thu Dec 06 2012, 20:00

As above, I have the fly-lead from the Optimate permanently installed and hidden behind the fairing panel beneath the seat on the right hand side (brake lever side). I can reach it through the little hole in the fairing there and then tuck it back in there when not in use. I also use the same fly-lead to attach an accessory adaptor so I can plug in a phone charger or sat nav charger.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Thu Dec 06 2012, 20:34

My 98 cat is on its' oringinal battery and has never been charged in my ownership, still starts first time generally. Amazing really.

Optimate is a good idea though especially if you have an alarm fitted
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  phildigger Fri Dec 07 2012, 02:28

Planning on keeping mine in house - just gotta figure out if can get bike through front door Very Happy
phildigger
phildigger
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri Dec 07 2012, 07:35

Your house insurers will not like that at all. Of course they're unlikely to find out, but if ever you have to claim.......
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Fri Dec 07 2012, 14:27

If you're not going to be using the bike I would deffo take the battery out, charge it fully and just check it every other week, in your case it might be best to buy a new battery first though

phildigger wrote:Planning on keeping mine in house - just gotta figure out if can get bike through front door Very Happy

I can help you with this one, the Thundercat does fit through a standard sized door

Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri Dec 07 2012, 14:48

stretchie_ wrote:I can help you with this one, the Thundercat does fit through a standard sized door
Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
That's taking the Wii console MotoGP game just a bit to far stretchmeister affraid
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Fri Dec 07 2012, 16:13