Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thundercat Running Temperature

+2
past-it
Leeb-12
6 posters

Go down

Thundercat Running Temperature Empty Thundercat Running Temperature

Post  Leeb-12 Mon Jun 18 2018, 09:54

Hi Guys!

Okay so I'm looking for a little advice/information if I may please?

I have a Thundercat which, like most Thundercats, runs well into the red on the temperature gauge before the fan kicks in. It has even gone as far as boiling over before now. The system holds pressure and there are no blockages.

I am going to change the radiator thermo switch for a lower temperature range (current switch operates at 105C, turns off at 98C) in order to reduce the risk of this happening again.

What I'm struggling to find however is the optimum running temperature for this engine in order to select a suitable temperature range.

So, my question to the forum is what is the optimum running temperature for the Thundercat please?

Many thanks,

Lee
Leeb-12
Leeb-12

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-06-18

Back to top Go down

Thundercat Running Temperature Empty Re: Thundercat Running Temperature

Post  past-it Mon Jun 18 2018, 12:02

Up until last week I had 30% of the rad covered over as Cats run cold for most of the time. The fan will only cut in when the gauge is in the red, but it soon cools down. The boiling over sounds like you had to much water in the header tank. During the winter I have 75% of the rad covered to allow the bike to run warmer. In this warm weather the bike runs at about 65/70 degrees until heavy traffic and then it slowly gets warmer until the fan cuts in (three times in the last few weeks, more than in the last three years). Don't bother changing the thermostat as the cooling system by passes a large amount of water through the oil cooler so it will never get warm. My Cat runs far sweeter at cooler temps than when it's hot, like me it gets short tempered when stuck in traffic, but other than a few more rattles and more of a snatch to the throttle when hot it's never done any damage to the bike.
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Jun 18 2018, 18:54

Hi Lee, welcome.

How often are you going into the red and under what conditions? Mine only did it in London's stop/stop traffic, was jokingly going to write a label with London on it and stick it over the red zone Laughing

My Tracer will get hot far quicker than the 'Cat ever did, the fan is forever coming on.

Coolant boiling doesn't sound good, you not got an airlock maybe? I never found a problem with the standard settings for the fan.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Leeb-12 Tue Jun 19 2018, 13:37

Hi there,

Thank you for the warm welcome! Smile .

Okay so there are no airlocks.

Radiator cap swapped with my other bike no difference.

Thermostat tested on the hob with a thermometer and all is good.

Fan kicks in no problem when shorted.

Temperature sender unit under reads.

So, I reckon this is a 2 fold issue.

1. I think the thermo switch is activating either at too high a temperature, or not at all.

2. Because the temperature indication under reads, the bike is actually a lot hotter than it would suggest on the dial, so the temperature sender is suspect. I had originally thought that the coolant
was boiling just under 100C which would suggest little or no pressurisation.

I've seen on various forums that a lot of people fit a manual switch to the radiator fan circuit and mount it down to one side of the bike. I don't want to do that as it sounds faffy and likelihood is I'd forget I've turned it on.

I figured that, if I'm going to replace the thermo switch anyway, then may as well kill 2 birds with one stone and reduce the activation temperature. It won't have any affect on the temperature of the engine whilst moving as there will be forward airflow and that was never an issue anyway. It only ever gets hot when stood still.

My theory is that by cutting the fan in 10 degrees or so earlier, it won't go into the red in the first place, ignoring the fact of course that the gauge lies anyway but since it is only indication I'm going to leave it be.

Ill have a look into it and post what I find.
Leeb-12
Leeb-12

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  FatCat Tue Jun 19 2018, 16:51

Perhaps the sender is defective. There aftermarket ones available like this one.
sender switch

Remember that water mixed with ethylene glycol has a slightly higher boiling point than 100 degrees C (you do have a 50/50 mix)? Its also tends to get higher as the pressure increases, so if it boiled it would suggest it was a fair bit over the target temp range....

Are you sure the water pump is okay? Perhaps the coolant is static and simply not flowing through the system?
FatCat
FatCat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2014-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Jun 21 2018, 17:29

Welcome to the forum Lee.

Sorry to hear you're having an issue with coolant boiling over. here's a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to the workshop area and a related subject.

Hope you manage to figure it out soon and inexpensively left thumb up

Cheers
Tel Toff
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Sat Jun 23 2018, 20:18

Hi & welcome. The thermostat is fully open at 68 so they do run cooler than most engines. Try draining the cooling system & flush through the system with a hose pipe & refill with fresh coolant. It might never of had a coolant change unless you know the history of the bike.

Paul
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down