Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harz Discussion (Germany 2011)

+11
Robcat
Qw8
Radar
westie
Eddie990
erdnuss
0ldcat
andyb
weasley
ellie
Rosco
15 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Harz Discussion (Germany 2011) Empty Harz Discussion (Germany 2011)

Post  Rosco Wed Jun 02 2010, 13:15

Click on "Spoiler" below to reveal trip info great
Spoiler:
==========================================================================

Woo hoo...I'm first.

I really enjoyed the Eifel trip in 2010. Nice roads, awesome accomodation (said the big spoon), fantastic food and a great bunch of people.

While it is a bit further to get to than last time the additional lure of mountain roads might will no doubt make me sign up very soon.

Dirt Bike Dave and I are Hull to Rotterdam Ferry experts now and will provide advice at the bar!

Anyone else considering it?

Cheers
Rosco

Last edited by 0ldcat on Tue Jan 18 2011, 15:28; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added info to 1st post)
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Harz Discussion (Germany 2011) Empty Re: Harz Discussion (Germany 2011)

Post  ellie Wed Jun 02 2010, 13:40

Gotta feeling thats half term???? Do you know Ross?
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Wed Jun 02 2010, 15:59

Hmmm... tempted.

Will have to see how the other half can cope with a 3 year old and a nearly 1 year old but might get a pass-out again.

Will watch with interest.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Wed Jun 02 2010, 21:31

Very tempting ponder

Plus i love germany clink

Hopefully work haven't got anything ''booked for me'' What a Face
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 03 2010, 20:56

I am in discussions with "people" about being there. Long way off but definately a plan.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sun Jun 06 2010, 10:16

ellie wrote:Gotta feeling thats half term???? Do you know Ross?
You may very well be right ellie. This last week has just been a half term week off for the kids.

It's a bit of a conundrum really, for some the half term may be an advantage, for others sadly not.

Unfortunately we have no control over the dates on this ride-away nor the accommodation (outside of booking our own), so I'm affraid those (dates & accomm) are what they are (I am aware that reads a bit harsh, please believe me it's not meant to).
Really as mentioned above, the only two things we can control are the routes to the meet and the method of crossing the channel traveling to the meeting (and there are a few different ways to get there).
It all hangs upon interest from individual forum members as to how many wish to go, from where in the UK they start and how much time they have, and then of course there is the cost of the trip to think of too.

Because of the distance into Germany this meeting is, I would suggest you are looking at a minimum 5 day trip anyway (3 days being the actual meeting), and I would further suggest to make it a more pleasurable and relaxed experiance probably 7 days would be a better bet. That would give two days to get there from UK (did I mention it's a long way away Smile ) , the 3 day meet and then two days to get home again in comfort.

Cheers clink
Tel

Last edited by 0ldcat on Thu Jun 10 2010, 10:08; edited 1 time in total
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  erdnuss Mon Jun 07 2010, 19:35

however you do it, I have to say I really look forward to the meeting 2011 ;-)
It would be great, if a few of you visit us again! great clink
erdnuss
erdnuss
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Sat Jun 12 2010, 22:05

Half term is Sat 28th May - Sun 5th Jun 2011 Ellie.

Unfortunately I'll be offshore for this. Would have liked to come along. Crying or Very sad

Chris
Eddie990
Eddie990

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)

Back to top Go down

Post  westie Sun Jul 25 2010, 18:49

Just punched in the route on "viamichelin" site;

Calais to camp site = 463 miles.

Trie sur Baise to camp site = 1009 miles. Hmmm, another set of tyres.
westie
westie
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 164
Hobbies : Retired into DIY & house renovation.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07 2010, 17:53

I'm deffo up for this , and I think Gary will be too , but you can definately count me in . deal
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri Jan 07 2011, 13:21

Time to bump this to the top again I think. I have opened negotiations with the boss about doing this and would really like to. Now the new year is here it's time to make plans and have something to look forward to.

Anyone else in the same frame of mind? I thoroughly enjoyed the Eifel trip (even the ride down which, with rose-tinted glasses on, I don't remember being that wet, cold and boring!) and would love to see a bit of Germany I haven't seen before.

There were 6 of us flying the British (OK, English and Scottish) flag last year, can we better this...?
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07 2011, 13:29

Well I've already said I'm %100 up for this , and so is my Brother in-law - so I guess that's four already !
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Fri Jan 07 2011, 16:31

I could be up for this...I will start negotiations
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Harz Discussion (Germany 2011) Empty When??? Edit - I found out. 2-5 June 2011

Post  Qw8 Sun Jan 09 2011, 22:17

No one but no-one has mentioned the dates? When is this please? I'm really interested in going.
Edit: I found teh dates in a totally separate Forum! Strange. 2-5 June.

In terms of timing, I used to do Hertfordshire to Zurich in a day on my ZZR for work :-) , and any squaddie will tell you that the Traz, Celle or Hannover are easily done in a day via Calais or Bruges, though obviously if you are coming down from North of the humber then that adds significant miles and hours to it.

Edit: Driving on 'the wrong side of the road' really is a cinch, especially on a bike, we spend so much time moving about the road that you will get used to it in 5-10 miles! Driving in Germany is a blast, they have great roads, parts of the Autobahns are limitless, and great 'cafe and kuchen' (coffee and cakes) in every town. Downsides are that where there are speed limits, especially on Autobahns, they need to be stuck to. So if anyone is wondering about it as they have never ridden abroad before, just come on and give it a try, you'll love it and find it isn't difficult at all.
Qw8
Qw8
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 38
Hobbies : IT stuff
Humour : When you spell it right I'll tell you...
Registration date : 2010-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sat Jan 15 2011, 19:00

The time for booking is upon us ALREADY affraid

Uli (our german thundercat admin & host) will be publishing accommodation details on thundercat-club.de later today (Sat 15 Jan 2011).

Once he has done so the gates will be open for reserving accomm places (and deposits).

SO . . folks, the thread and info (inc what we knew about accomm ~ see the info thread) has been up for a long time now.
Negotiations with SWMBO's should be well advanced.

I'm going to start pressing those of you that have expressed interest in the sign up thread for a decision very soon.

Anyone else interested ? Now really is the time to be making your mind up.

As an appetizer . . . . Those that went to the Eifel meeting last year had a great time. Our hosts made us feel really very welcome indeed and were a fantastic bunch.
They thought we were a bunch of loonies, mind, for traveling so far into the unknown, which only served to make the experience that bit more special.

As soon as Uli has published details , I'll post up here . . . . . . . . . please give me time to translate . . . I'll do it as quickly as I can.

Cheers
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sat Jan 15 2011, 21:59

Just to reiterate what Tel said, they really were a friendly bunch, despite the language barrier (although a few lagers later the language barriers came tumbling down!). Also willing to help or fix anything for anyone, so if trouble started with a bike I believe they would do their utmost to help sort it.

The group riding has to be seen to be believed - their marshalling of other road users so that the group keeps together is fanatical! The riding is pretty easy going too, so no getting sucked into speeds or manoeuvres beyond your comfort zone.

Besides, we have a reputation to keep up - last ones in the bar every night!

Negotiations well underway here, but outcome is dependent on our wee one deciding he can sleep more than a handful of hours at a time..... there is progress though.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sun Jan 16 2011, 01:57

Details are up on Thundercats.de

66 places booked for the meeting

These will be in holiday huts (posh camping), no bedding or towels . . . bring yer own sleeping bag and towels (shower/bath & hand)

Huts are type Bungalow - 4 people (sleeps) or Hut - 3 people (sleeps)

It looks like for a bugalow (4 person) 38€ per person for the 3 nights and 32€ per person for the 3 person hut . Breakfast also not included. . . . did i mention this is posh camping ???
Prices TO BE CONFIRMED ~ my translation may be a bit off wall

However; if you speaka da lingo (and I know a few of you do), here's the LINK to the original text on thundercat-club.de .

Here comes the bit I warned you of . . . . . . . . . . . . answers by 24th Jan 2011 are needed, Uli is going to book a hut/bunalow (s) for us out of his pocket. It'd be nice to give him a heads up of how many are intent on coming . . . . . .

To be fair you have had advanced notice, the thread has after all been on the forum for five months now.

May I suggest negotiations with SWMBO's go up a notch ponder What a Face

Cheers clink
Tel

0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sun Jan 16 2011, 22:29

Depending on our route through Germany to the Harz, Ephor from the German Thundercat site has said he could load our luggage in his van he'll be driving to the Harz (with his bike on a trailer or in the back).

We'd have to go via Cologne/Aachen though. If we enter mainland Europe via the Hook of holland that'll be out of our way.

Via Michelin also puts it a bit far south if we cross via the tunnel to Calais.

Still the offer is there and I promised to pass his kind offer on to you all to think on.

cheers
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Mon Jan 17 2011, 07:58

I am signed up now! In terms of plans, I was working on the outline plan of crossing on Weds and keeping going a bit, to around Venlo, then stopping overnight and doing the rest on Thursday. Just a first plan though, I'm sure there will be various iterations and alterations between now and then.

I chose Venlo only as it is nearly half way and I used to live near there 30 years ago.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 17 2011, 17:35

Is there anychance of having the details of the trip posted at the top of this thread , just saves having to keep going to the other bit to look at the information . Just a suggestion . But I wanna go Very Happy

Edit: Done, see first post. Click on "spoiler" in the white box to display trip info
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Tue Jan 18 2011, 10:14

0ldcat wrote:However; if you speaka da lingo (and I know a few of you do), here's the LINK to the original text on thundercat-club.de .

I kinda mumble the Sprache a bit, as you know... Neutral

It looks like there is an option to hire towels and bedding at extra cost, if you are short on luggage space. I think Tel's idea of sleeping bags is great though, so plan to strap one on and bung in a small towel or two. I was actually suprised how much space I had in my luggage for the Eifel trip - I have the Oxford Humpback panniers and they were not even expanded.

I'm already in planning mode - what to do to the bike, what to sort out etc! Last year I ordered a new number plate made with the Euro/GB flag on it and it arrived the day I was leaving...
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Tue Jan 18 2011, 11:29

weasley wrote:It looks like there is an option to hire towels and bedding at extra cost
You are right, there is an option to hire bedding & towels at extra cost.

But at the risk of sounding like one of the holiday companies I didn't mention it as it starts to escalate costs. Off the top of me 'ed I think it was about €3 per day for towels & €5 per day for bedding, adding an extra €8 per day to costs (€24 in all)per person.
Thats an extra (almost) two thirds of the whole cost of the bungalow for the three days (if you hire bedding & towels).

I stand to be corrected on this but, as I read it costs for accomm (if we take the more expensive roof) are €38 per head (without bedding & towels [or breakfast - also avail extra cost])for the 3 days.
With bedding & towels €62 per head (those hiring it) for the three days.

Be aware ~ Breakfast over there will not be cooked (the so called full English), but rather coffee, bread rolls and a selection of cold hams/cheese slices and or jam probably in buffet form at a central location. First come, first served, best selection sort of thingy. A continental breaky as we call it.

All the above are costings ONLY for a bed space and a roof.

No food, meals of any kind or running cost (fuel there, back & the two ride outs) are inc. As well as any additional over-night stops that may or may not be planned & channel crossing costs.

I've looked briefly at channel crossings, Hull ~ Rotterdam rtn solo rider + Bike £115 approx (I did a bike + pillion so I've halved that quote)
The Chunnel ~ bike ~ If you take the 5 day cheap Rtn £42, The 5 day flexi rtn is £148.

Mileage from Calais to Kelbra (nearest big town to camp site) is 470 miles approx, (not done the Rotterdam mileage but it'll not be far adrift from Calais - Kelbra), you'll need to know your own MPG to figure fuel costings. Prices per litre are roughly the same over there as here.
Judging by the Eifel trip, they tend to make their ride outs about 100 to 125 miles in length, so, 200 to 250 miles to add to there and back again.
So fudge factoring it lets say 850 miles on mainland Europe. Add your own UK milage to your port of exit and return home.

Food at the camp site ? Well they have the BBQ booked for Friday and Saturday nights, so I'm guessing it'll be a money in the pot for someone to do a shopping trip (some of the ladies don't go on the ride outs) for th BBQ each evening.
Drinks - Same detail I should imagine.
For those that have not been to Germany before, They have what they call a getranke markt, in essence it's a whole supermarket dedicated to beers, wines, spirits & soft drinks. No, Really, floor to roof booze, an alcoholics disneyland and some.

Please DON'T forget holiday health in-sewer-ants and breakdown cover if it's not already part of your regular policy for the trip.

Factor in your personal spending money and there you have above a somewhat messy calculation of rough costs.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Tue Jan 18 2011, 23:28

I a long hard think, I can't do it. But it does sound like a brilliant run. Enjoy folks and I look forward to the pics and stories from the trip
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Harz Discussion (Germany 2011) Empty Hmmm

Post  Robcat Fri Jan 21 2011, 20:01

Well as an answer is definitely needed at this moment.
We are going to have to pass aswell.

Linz might be losing her job in July (we shall know for definite in April).
Aswell as me, in the housing industry, its looking a little bleak.

Would know for definite in 3 months if we could make it then.

Rob and linz.
Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 518
Hobbies : Xbox and crashing planes
Humour : Very Wet!!!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  furball Sat Jan 22 2011, 16:19

Not sounding good Rob, best of luck to you and Linz

Davie
furball
furball
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 833
Humour : OH!!! Yes Please

Back to top Go down